Volvo 275 Bellows Installation

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

First I'd like to thank Don S. and everyone that has responded to my previous posts on my Volvo. I picked up a Raven cabin cruiser off craigslist about a month ago and the previous owner - big surprise - didn't take very good care of her.

I replaced the starter and gapped the points to get her to run again (compression 160 - 165 psi in each cylinder). She runs excellent.

Next I had to replace the steering fork so I dismantled the leg. Thru these forums I found that my intermediate shaft bearing was bad (cuz of a ripped u-joint bellows), so I yanked the engine, changed the bearing, snap rings, and seals, and dropped it back in. Picked up a new (used) outdrive off e-bay, and swapped some parts from my old leg into my new. I've got everything reassembled (yup, new seals everywhere), and am waiting on a new u-joint set with the yokes to come UPS tomorrow.

My question - the u-joint bellows seems a little tight on the outdrive side. I don't want to rip this brand new bellow while I'm trying to install it. Does anyone have any tips for getting it on there in one solid piece?

Thanks a lot. This website is INVALUABLE.

-D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 275 Bellows Installation

I just use some duck bill pliars ( basically wide needle nose pliars) if you don't have them, just use needle nose pliars to pull the bellows into place a little at a time.
Best not to use brand new pliears with sharp edges, and you don't have to squeeze the rubber bellows very hard.