Volunteers???

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
This mornings news here in Houston was that only 12 volunteers showed up at the Astrodome.<br /><br />My question is, surely SOME of the evacuees could volunteer themselves.<br /><br />Lets make them responsible for themselves for ONCE in their life.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Volunteers???

It's a great thought Ken, but after working in social services I can tell you it won't happen.<br /><br />Nearly, every person that was given services by me was asked to volunteer an hour or two to help. Not once in 8 years did anyone ever give and hour of their time in gratitude for receving free services.<br /><br />Those that are used to receiving services expect it. Now, because of this disaster, there are many who will receive services for the first time and maybe they would like to give back. I hope they do, we need their help.

txswinner

Banned

If you want to see needy participate get involved in Habitat for Humanity, this is a great program.

txswinner

Banned

Get off the internet and go help out. That is where I am going right now. See ya soon.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I have calls into every service here in Missouri and I am yet to recieve a call back (though they take my name and number) Why does it seem so hard to volunteer?????? Ladyfish and Ken I personally know 2-3 of my friends who would drive south to help but unless we are in some sort of law enforcment or have had much disaster training it seems like we are unwanted or unneeded. Its been over a week since I made calls to Redcross, Convoy of hope and Habitat for humanity.....still no word. :( I understand they dont want people in dangerous areas but I have made it clear I would love to help in anyway possable.......its frustrating ......

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you want to volunteer at the Astrodome, you just need to show up.<br /><br />They probably didnt need any this weekend, but everybody had to go back to work, so now they need those that can help.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

Our local Red Cross is not accepting any more volunteers at this time. They send their own. <br /><br />The churches and schools that are housing victims need our help.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

ken, just to be fair...when the busses arrived at my church, the folks were absolutely shell-shocked. They had been in a war zone, lost everything they owned, separated from family members, loaded on buses, taken to three different cities. Sleep deprivation, days of poor nutrition & dehydration take their toll.<br /><br />But you're right, the number of volunteers needed should decline as time goes on. At least some of them will be more comfortable helping than being helped.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I agree Jtexas, but several have been there at the dome for a few days.<br /><br />Then again, they could be volunteering, but the idiot media just isnt reporting it.<br /><br />Ken

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps they should put some of the fourty seven news crews that are standing around down there to work.<br /><br />I would think how they are counting the volenteers may be suspect...maybe not.<br /><br />I live 1500 miles from houston and and know (very well) two people who have put in at least 42 hours there...perhaps more by now as I havent talked to them in three days. They report that there is people everywhere and had more than enoufgh volenteers to cover the duties, I stress this was 3+ days ago. Some may find it interesting to know that they ate with the refugees and report the food was, and I quote...Excellant, and a lot of it.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

why can't they serve each other. Heck, it will give them something to do to keep their mind occupied....<br /><br />why can't the able bodied men be put to work. Why is it that they are relying on someone else taking care of them. Agreed they need help, but they should help themselves too (and not in the looting sense)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> why can't they serve each other. Heck, it will give them something to do to keep their mind occupied....<br /><br />why can't the able bodied men be put to work. Why is it that they are relying on someone else taking care of them. Agreed they need help, but they should help themselves too (and not in the looting sense)
go easy on 'em a couple days, kelton...<br /><br />see above "...when the busses arrived at my church, the folks were absolutely shell-shocked. They had been in a war zone, lost everything they owned, separated from family members, loaded on buses, taken to three different cities. Sleep deprivation, days of poor nutrition & dehydration take their toll."<br /><br />That's from personal observation, not a news report. They spent days & nights in pure hell. Do you know what the heat & humidity is like there? People urinating on the floor. Think of the bathrooms in the Astrodome in the ninth inning, then imagine 'em after three days of no running water. You go outside you risk getting shot, you stay inside you risk getting robbed or worse. Don't sleep for fear of violence. Mob mentality when food arrives...people getting trampled to death...single people taking enough for whole families & refusing to share with those who got none. Old & sick people dying all around you. That's a personal account from a survivor.<br /><br />just saying...cut 'em some slack. ;)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Agreed Jtexas....but keeping one's mind occuppied always helps. <br /><br />I didn't mean for it to come off as forced labor, just them helping each other out.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

After this week we are transitioning from a "volunteer" schedule to a "chore" schedule available for the residents to sign up. We'll still have volunteers but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.<br /><br />Our resident occupational therapist (Mrs. jtexas) says return to as much self-sufficiency in self care as possible is crucial to mental & physical health in rehab & recovery.

D

DJ

Ladyfish wrote:<br /><br />
It's a great thought Ken, but after working in social services I can tell you it won't happen.<br /><br />Nearly, every person that was given services by me was asked to volunteer an hour or two to help. Not once in 8 years did anyone ever give and hour of their time in gratitude for receving free services.<br /><br />Those that are used to receiving services expect it. Now, because of this disaster, there are many who will receive services for the first time and maybe they would like to give back. I hope they do, we need their help.<br />
My experience has been just that.<br /><br />In this world, there are "givers" and "takers".

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

What was it Frank Sinatra used to say..."you can't have one without the other." ;)

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

WOOO HOOOO after like a week of calling everywere I could think of I finaally am taking the Disaster response training that the Red Cross is offering. I start on Fri and I tell you what, it feels pretty good to at least have something in my sites to help me be able to help. :)

txswinner

Banned

Those reports are totally wrong, a close friend of mine and her son spent 20 hours in two days at the dome on Sat. and said there were many volunteers. She agreed the evacuees were under tremedous distress and just worn out. She will be going back this Sat. Her son said it was exhausting but one of the greatest feeling in his life, but then he is only 15.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

txwinner, there were tons of volunteers sat sun and monday, but no one on Tuesday cause everybody had to go back to work.<br /><br />Ken