Volunteer question

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
I have a friend who has been contacted by the red cross and another Org. that says its looking for volunteers. He is thinking about loading up his pick up with tools and whatever else we can and heading south. I really want to go with but Im wondering if it is something the Government wants us to do. I mean I was thinking we could take my boat and do what ever we could. I am not the most talented person in the world but Im blessed with a job I can put on hold and Im willing to do whatever I can to help........What does everybody think? Is this something that is possable or would they rather keep civilians out?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Volunteer question

I think any help would be a blessing for those people, just be prepared for the negative aspects. You will have people trying to take charge of you by having you do things you didn't go there to do, you could have people trying to hurt you and take what is yours. I guess if the satisfaction you will gain knowing you helped some people is worth any real or percieved risks, then by all means go for it.<br /><br />Would I do it? You bet....

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

My mom is getting a truck donated by a local dealership (she's working the issue now). they are gathering up food/water/clothing/etc to take to Pascagoula Ms. We have relatives there so that's the area they want to donate in. I think it's a noble thing to do.....but I think Jason hit it on the head...just be careful. You're going to go do a good deed, but there are those that may want to take advantage of you.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I hear you guys and My friend is a very wise man that I trust in leading me and hopfully keeping us out of trouble......its all a big maybe right now but I hate sitting here and not doing jack.....I aint got a whole lot to donate money or material wise but I do have a body that works well and am willing use it.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Sometimes a strong back is good enough in this sort of situation...

txswinner

Banned

Mike they probably will not let you in yet. If you go to the outskirts they will take what you bring but to much problem with looters to let anyone in that does not reside in the city and not even then yet. Good gesture and you will be needed soon.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Yes your probably right TXS so what Im thinking is take a couple of days to collect supplies and head down........I also heard that Teaxas might need volunteers to help where the "refugees" will be going......

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

mikeandronda,<br /> Your desire to go down is commendable, but I will share what I heard today. On the news channel here they were saying PLEASE do not do what you're suggesting. They don't want to try to coordinate what they referred to as vigilante volunteers. <br /><br />Their suggestion was to get in touch with your local Red Cross chapter, Salvation Army chapter, etc. and see if they are organizing any relief efforts that you could join.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

On a lighter note, when I first saw your post title, I thought you might have a question about this year's University of Tennessee football team. How 'bout you Wimperdink, monoshock?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Right on Boatbuoy and thats what I did just after posting this......they are orginising volunteers so I await the phone call tomarrow from the red cross.

brother chris

Commander

Mike....BE CAREFUL. <br />I am happy to hear you say that you want to help, but just be careful brother!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ok Im a bit frustrated here.......Red Cross is not even starting training for any disaster relief groups till mid Oct. I have tryed many numbers and the only place that has said they even wants volunteers is Convoy of hope......I am schedualed to start within the next week. I dont know what it will entail but I dont care. You see I am blessed with a job that can be put on hold ( Guitar teacher) so I sit here knowing I can help, wanting to help and able to help and its like I am more of a nuceanse to some of the people I talked to at the red cross. Anyway I know this is just how things work but grrrrrr...... Any sugestions would be great.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

In most disaster emergency operation plans and FEMA guidlines, they close off the aflicted area. They won't let anyone in no matter how bad they need the help. This is due to the danger, the trouble working in an orderly fashion, and to supress the looting and those who will flock to these areas just to snoop and take advantage.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> while I made a promise not to chat here again I will have to break it. :) . if you volunteer with the redcross they will let you in if your team is tasked with an operation. I have done several of the rescue efforts with HSUS and IFAW. in fact they called me wednesday night and are setting up teams to go assist with the domestic and wild animal problems as well as people issues now. I asked to go to the Mobile/gulfport area as I grew up in pascagouls and grand bay, its very difficult to get in as each house must be cleared by the proper autorities due to any bodies found must be treated as a crime scene and cleared by local athourities before any clean-up or altering of the scene can occur.so while ya just cant drive down and start if you wish and have the time its usually not difficult to volunteer. the team I am on requires being up to date on all hepititas tetanus and pre-exposure rabies vaccinations, I have all mine as well as yellow fever and a few others. I was in contact with some friends in the grandbay area last night that had been to pascagoula on thursday, most of the area east of highway 90 was wiped as well as parts of moss point, they could not get much farther than pascagoula. my mom lives in western Mobile and still has power and water. the power father southis very spotty. I cant contact a team member that lives in gulfport yet. we pray she left and is ok. you will find that in the disaster area burn out occurs very rapidly. the sight,sounds and smells will remain with you for years. my opinion of the overall effort, from what I can gather from friends and family in the affected area, is the govt reaction has been generally poor. the new orleans area is just a small area there is about 900sq miles more of destroyed places. yet all the big 6 cyl gensets lined up at NAS norfolk are still sitting. some of the Gaurd members I know from the MS/LA area complain all their major equipment is not in country. some of the marines and airforce friends I know have been ready to deploy and chomping at the bit to go since subday. so far nothing has happened. the seabees and the combat engineers are still sitting in place with all their temporary bridges, comm equipment,mobile kitchens and emergency power stations are still waiting for the go orders. seems a lot of politicians are patting them selves on the TV about what a good job they are doing but nothing is happening on the ground. the new orleans area is a small area compared to the hundreds of small towns, some with no post offices scattered between Mobile and new orleans, should have been air drops as soon as the winds let up. I think FEMA and homeland security are way to top heavy and cant move. Just like in the Floyd Floods here in carolina. while the wheels met for conferences every morning from 8-11 we were in the water at 6 am doing while they were on TV talking about doing.when we were not on the water we assisted the redcross and others in the food kitchens and sorted donations.so it will be some months before any reconstruction will take place in most the area there will be plenty of work to be done. so if you wish to volunteer there is many organizations that will accept you but most will ask for vaccinations as well as any other training. luckily I have some extensive training in security,first aid, swift water rescue and high angle resue. seems funny cause heights terrify me but I did it and can do it. most of the affected area of the LA and MS coast are very poor and fairly rural. infastructure there was iffy in good times. so if ya volunteer just be aware that its difficult work but very rewarding. also be aware to take anything you think you may need cause money is worthless there. bug spray, asprins, toothpaste ,toiletries, all will be unavalible. I spent 13 days paddling my jon boat around the kinston,princeville,tarboro area after floyd and other than some gas I spent nothing, there was nothing to buy. however I did meet some wonderful people that came from all over the states. was overall a wonderful experience. so if you go go with an open mind. its tough work but its good work and the damage is more widespread than our top heavy overly beurocratic govt can handle. there will be many private volunteer teams from various places that will never get TV coverage yet they will do the bulk of the work. my mom has contacted the redcross and offered her services based on about 40 years as a nurse, 23 of it with labor and delivery. my sister is with the redcross as a volunteer in Meridian MS now. so if ya go take anything you think you may need and then some, even toilet paper is worth more than gasoline sometimes.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

how come it has taken several days for this offer of charity to be offered? would have thought that it would be last Tuesday judging from the Medias expectations!