Voltage Regulator

Ranger09

Cadet
I have a 2006 300hp yamaha vmax on a skeeter icls. I had a 2009 ranger with a 225hp yamaha vmax. The ranger was set up with 2 36v 40amp lithium batteries in parallel with 1 12v 120amp cranking lithium battery. It had a 3 bank power pole charger hooked to them. I switched everything from the ranger to the skeeter. I took 1 of the 36v batteries out and running 1 36v battery to my trolling motor up front. I added a12v lithium to run a power brake trolling motor in back and stayed with the 12v cranking battery. I had the charger now hooked to the single 36v battery and the 2 12v batteries that are hooked in parallel. Apparently, the pole charger will not charge correctly unless you have all batteries with voltage and amps configured on an app you have downloaded on your phone. So, when I hooked everything up it didn't take long for smoke to come out the top of the cowling. I immediately unhooked everything from cranking battery. The right-side center of cowling was very hot. I took the charger out and took to a mechanic. He feels like the voltage regulator needs replaced but isn't sure if that is all or if that is exactly the problem. Any ideas?