Voltage regulator/rectifier Mariner 115HP

bbalcer

Seaman
Hello fellas, I've got a 1996 Mariner 115HP (OG348734) and had indications of a bad Voltage regulator/rectifier (intermittent high rpms and high voltage reading). I purchased a new VRR from a Merc parts express dealer. The SN on the box he gave me shows 883072T but the part in the box has 892115-001 stamped on it. I've done some searching and found most places that the part that replaces the 815279-3(original) is in fact the 883072-T or even a newer 854515. However I've been unable to find any VRR with a serial number 892115-001..which is what I received from the dealer. Can anyone tell me if it is even the correct part. It fails the SCR and one diode static checks per the SELOC manual. Also, does it matter which yellow wire (two of them with same male connector) is connected to its mate or are they the same? Thanks for any inputs.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Voltage regulator/rectifier Mariner 115HP

Yellow wires, doesn't matter which to which. The numbers on the regulators themselves are usually internal numbers relating to part of the part ... like the casing number minus the guts. Or sometimes the part minus the packaging. The packaged part number is the one that is published and referred to.

bbalcer

Seaman

I did see a picture of a VR/R on a website and it has the 883072T number stamped on it, like the number on the box. I'm hoping the battery was just weak due to the old VR/R not charging it properly.

bbalcer

Seaman

Well the battery is fine. Could an intermittent VRR destroy the ignition? I guess I'm going to have to check the stator and packs to find out why I no longer have ignition. What is a preferred method of checking spark, without a spark plug tester?