Voltage Regulator Part #

cddfamily

Cadet
First, thanks to all of the experts and good intentioned folks who contribute to this board. The information has been great.<br /><br />My 1993 Johnson 175 Fast Strikeis putting out 18v at WOT. It comes down after a few minutes and lower RPMs, but i am pretty sure I blew the VReg while messing with the battery switch on more than one occasion. Now, I know better.<br /><br />I am having trouble finding the part# for my year and model: 1993, model VJ175GLETR. Anyhelp is greatly appreciated. Also, how tough is this to replace? I have a good shop manual and it looks straight forward, but my wife has a tough time keeping a straight face when I say it.<br /><br />thanks -

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Voltage Regulator Part #

Hi Fishin....current PN is 439561. Don't let you know who see this but the current price is 'bout $227. The gasket is PN 350357....$1.95.<br /><br />If you have a OEM manual, just follow it and you will get it done. Just be sure to get the gasket surface clean and use a thin layer of gasket sealing compound on the gasket...NOT FORMAGASKET 1 OR 2. And don't use any silicon stuff either....sorry....I'm just a bit picky.... :)

cddfamily

Cadet

OBJ -<br /><br />Thanks for the help. I guess I'll add a "touch - $230 each" sign to my battery switch. <br /><br />I am a simple mechanic; not smart enough to be fancy so I stick to the tried and true gasket seal as well. Too easy for too much silicon to get to the wrong places. Any preferences OEM or aftermarket for the regulator?<br /><br />thanks again

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Wishing..... There are "Make before Break" battery switches whereas it is safe to switch positions while the engine's running......<br /><br />And then there are the ElCheapo "Break before Make" switches which will absolutely cause damage to the charging system if you switch positions while the engine's running.<br /><br />From what you've said, I'd suspect you have one of the ElCheapo models. If so, I strongly suggest that you purchase one of the "Make before Break" switches to avoid any further expensive boo boos.

cddfamily

Cadet

After lots of rain, mentoring a high school robotics team, rewiring the camper, and finishing too many honey - do's ... I getting back to fixing the boat. <br /><br />I looked at the regulator and it's marked 584093. I have a DVM and will be checking the resistances of all of the leads. The yellows look like inputs from the stator. I have a red going to the starter solenoid or rectifier, a purple heading off to the vro and a tan. <br /><br />What readings indicate a good or bad regulator?<br /><br />The only replacement I can find is a CDI 193-4093. Does this sound right? <br /><br />As always, thanks for the help and supporting this great forum.