Voltage regulator or rectifier

HD Fatboy?

Seaman
A couple questions I have.

My 1996 Tracker Nitro with Mercury 115 ELPTO

I am placing a parts order today. My first question is, My Tach does not work and my Battery does not charge. I am confused, do I need voltage regulator or rectifier? Or do I buy both?

second question. I have a pressure gage on this boat also. It does not work. What do I need to look at in correcting the Pressure Gage

Thanks as Always!

Mike

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Voltage regulator or rectifier

Not sure about your specific engine but the rectifier and regulator may be combined into a single unit. If they are separate, then it's hard to tell without testing which one or if both are bad. Rectifiers can be checked with an ohm meter. If it's good, then the regulator is likely the culprit. If not, I would replace the rectifier only.

The pressure gauge is not an electric gauge. It is a "water pressure" gauge that measure the cooling system water pressure which tells you how well or not well the water pump is working. There is a small diameter plastic tube (much like the one on the back of your speedometer) that connects between the gauge the and cooling system on the engine. Either the gauge itself is bad or the tube is plugged or pinched or the water pump impeller is indeed in need of replacement.

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

Thanks Silvertip!

Just 1 more question to anyone wanting to reply. there is a fitting broke off the mid-section of my Outboard, I assumed this was for the TACH, so my question now is, Does the same tube feed the pressure gage and Tach?

Thanks in Advance!

j_martin

Admiral

Thanks Silvertip!

Just 1 more question to anyone wanting to reply. there is a fitting broke off the mid-section of my Outboard, I assumed this was for the TACH, so my question now is, Does the same tube feed the pressure gage and Tach?

Thanks in Advance!

It would really help if you acquired a Mercury service manual so you would have at least a basic understanding of things in your engine.

The common denominator between the tachometer and battery charging is the voltage regulator. It has a rectifier built in to it. Which one it is is engine dependent, but if you locate 2 or more yellow wires coming out from under the flywheel and follow them, you will find the regulator. There is a grey wire connected to that same item, and that goes directly (through connectors, of course) to the tachometer. When the regulator fails, the tachometer will not work.

On that same engine, on top, aft the flywheel, is a threaded fitting into the block. Either directly off that fitting, or t'd into another line that comes off that fitting is a small plastic line that goes directly to the pressure gauge in the dash.

(edit) Belay that, I thought I was discussing a V6.

I have no idea what the broken fitting in the mid is. Pictures would help.

hope it helps
John

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

I downloaded the service Manual from a link here. It shows a regulator and a rectifier as two separate items. I ordered both anyway so not an issue.

Also in the manual, it shows me nothing in regards to the water pressure system and or speedometer. That is why I am asking here.

Thank you John for your reply.