voltage question

loghomer

Seaman
I have a 2 battery system. Last week I charged them both. Went out and voltage meter was reading about half way(12) I think. Went out today and meter was at about 1/4. Seems like its not charging as much. On my switch I have it set on both batteries thinking they will both be charging. Am I thinking correctly or should the alternator be changed???

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: voltage question

Without knowing what your meter is reading it is hard to help you with this problem. Please post your motor as well. Are you sure you even have an alternator on your motor. If your battery is reading 6 volts you have a dead battery and as John Cleese would say it wouldnt voom if you put 4 million volts through it. <br /><br />Maybe take the batteries to an auto parts store and have them load test them for you. If you are reading the meter correctly you have at least one bad battery

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

You should get a digital volt meter to check the batteries. About 12.7 is fully charged.<br />Output from a charging system that is working is usually over 14 volts.<br />First thing to do is check all the connections for corrosion. Take them apart to clean. It isn't always obvious.<br />One more thing is that one bad battery will drag down a good one.

loghomer

Seaman

These 2 batteries are both brand new. I have a Mercruiser 255hp. I made sure both batteries were fully charged last week

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

How new is your switch? Some of the old switches were not the "make then break" style and if you switched while the engine was running the regulator could go.