Voltage drops slowly once motor is off causing FF to stop

grouper21797

Cadet
FF works great with motor running. FF also works fine at dock with motor off and battery on a charger. Battery is a new deep cycle. Without boost from a running motor or batt charger, voltage slowly drops from 13.5 to below 12 (5-10 min) and the FF stops :( ; with nothing else on but the FF and battery is fully charged. Batteries hold their charge without a problem between outtings. Voltage guage on panel agrees with voltage reading on FF screen. 2004 Sea Pro 220CC w/150 yamaha.:confused:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Voltage drops slowly once motor is off causing FF to stop

A fully charged battery should read 12.65V after setting for 5-6 hours to take the surface charge off.

What kind of voltage are you getting?

grouper21797

Cadet

I start out with a fully charged, brand new battery showing 13.5+ volts. With nothing else on but the DF, and the motor not running, the voltage will slowly drop from 13.5 to less than 12 within 10 minutes. Shortly thereafter, the DF then sounds a low voltage alert, which I set at 11.5 volts.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The 13.5 volts your reading after charging the battery is the surface charge which doesn't mean a thing. The actual battery output should be 12.65 volts or very close to it after the surface charge has been removed.

Unhook the battery cables and charge the battery. Removing the battery cables will remove any possibility that your have a short in the wiring harness pulling down the battery.

Once charged wait 5-6 hours for the surface charge to dissipate then measure your voltage. If it doesn?t read 12.65 volt or very close to it you have something wrong with your battery and it?s time for a new one.

If as you suggest it drops to 12 volts in a matter of minutes you most likely have a short in the battery and it's time for a new one. If your battery test out then you have a short in your wiring harness somewhere.

grouper21797

Cadet

Dingbat, are you a Tidal Fisher? Thanks for your response. You are correct about the surface charge and my battery does read about 12.6, using a meter. I got someone to help me isolate where in my wiring the problem existed. The main power line (#10 wire) from the battery switch to the console had an in-line fuse holder that was noticeably warm. The connection within this holder was suspect. I cleaned it up and problem solved.:) But the fuse holder is still not right and I have ordered another. A liitle hard to find because it is #10 wire and I wanted a water-proof type.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Humm.....Maryland and 21797. Looks like we share the same zip code.

I've been known to visit TF from time to time.;)