volt meter replaceing amp meter need diagram

skippers_1

Cadet
sorry guys I seen what I needed a while ago but now cant find it.

I want to change my amp meter to a volt meter , I need the diagram on how to splice the wires together.

1972 Slickcraft 225 omc sterndrive restored .

Thanks, Rich

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: volt meter replaceing amp meter need diagram

sorry guys I seen what I needed a while ago but now cant find it.

I want to change my amp meter to a volt meter , I need the diagram on how to splice the wires together.

1972 Slickcraft 225 omc sterndrive restored .

Thanks, Rich

Of course you know that you will have to reconnect the two wires that were going to the Amp Meter back together for starters. But installing a simple Volt Meter is a piece of cake. Just run two wires (usually red for positive and black for negative) to the source you want to monitor. That's it! splicing the Amp Meter wires together should not be a problem either. Either use a quality crimp splice connector OR solder them together and use heat shrink tubing over either of the connections and seal for a weather-tight connection...

NYBo

Admiral

An addition bit of advice: Trace the ammeter wires as far back toward the engine as possible and splice there. In fact, you should be able to avoid a splice entirely and just make a direct connection.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no simple way to by-pass the ammeter. Sure, you can splice the two ammeter wires together, but you still have all your charging amperage going from the alternator, all the way up to the helm and back to the battery in old, undersized wiring.

If all you want to do is have a volt meter, that's easy. But you might as well keep the ammeter too unless you change everything. And that is a pain to do right if you don't know what your doing.

NYBo

Admiral

Doesn't one lead from an ammeter go directly to the fuse block? If so, then the other lead could go there, eliminating the ammeter. (Sorry, it's been a long time since I wired an ammeter- the last was in my 1971 Ford Maverick :redface:)

skippers_1

Cadet

Of course you know that you will have to reconnect the two wires that were going to the Amp Meter back together for starters. But installing a simple Volt Meter is a piece of cake. Just run two wires (usually red for positive and black for negative) to the source you want to monitor. That's it! splicing the Amp Meter wires together should not be a problem either. Either use a quality crimp splice connector OR solder them together and use heat shrink tubing over either of the connections and seal for a weather-tight connection...

I f I splice the 2 amp wires together, where do I get power from
I have a orange wire (amp) and a red wire ( battery) the other terminal has a 2 red wires 1 goes to the ig.switch the other goes to the fuse block, then around.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have any other gauges on this boat, connect the POS, NEG, and LITE terminals to the same terminals on any other gauge. Leave the AMMETER in place and you have the best of both worlds (and little chance to screw up the conversion).