vmax 150 won't start

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice
I have just rebuilt this motor and can't get it to turn over. Battery is charged, I get power up to relay then it stops. I get no power to the trim or oil refill switch that are on all the time. I'v checked my connections but I must have some wire wrong.Any body an idea or any test I can do.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: vmax 150 won't start

Check out your cable connections from the battery, KT.<br /><br />Prime suspect: Ground cable connection to the engine block.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice

I have checked the cable connections and today cleaned and checked every ground connection. Also the two main fuses look intact. But still no power!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> and what year model is this?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

There is a secondary lead, often in the battery cable which supplies the voltage you are missing, trace back from the inline fuse to be sure it is hooked up. Check both sides of the holder for voltage.

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice

The motor is a 2001 VMAX 150 MODEL TLRZ. Today I started at the control box and the wires running back to the connection at the motor and checked continuity. All wires checked out. I also checked the two fuses in the junction box and they are fine. I know I don't a secondary lead in the battery cable as I made and wired the boat. I will check the connections before the junction box fuses next. Thanks for the tip!!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

You will need a jumper from the battery cable connection to the fuses. Normally a part of the battery harness that plugs in when using Yamaha battery cables.

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice

Tracing the battery cables, the negative runs to the side of the starter and the positive to the top of the starter. It runs to a plastic insulated conection. From there it runs down to the starter relay. Then it runs to the bottom of the starter and to the trim / tilt relay. Today I cleaned each of these connections, but still all systems are dead. I could fined no inline fuses. The two main fuses are past this point in the wiring but both show good continuity. I was going to check the relay on friday. Thanks for your feed back.

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice

Today I checked the starter relay and it works fine. Then I found the in line fuse. It was blown. I put in the reserve and the motor trimed itself. I tryed start it but got nothing. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Now I have to find out why?

KNOTTY THOTS

Seaman Apprentice

I found the problem. The wire harness between the control box and the engine had a bent pin, that was shorting out the fuse. I fix the pin and the engine started right away. Thanks for the help!