Vizio Smart no sound

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Worked fine last nite, no sound today. All mutes are off, tv, cable box, soundbar. Netflix works fine. YouTube vid casting works fine too. Put it on a cable channel, nothing. Even switched hdmi input. TV is maybe 1yr old......

Switched out to another Vizo Smart and works fine on the cable box...

When I hit info, across the top of the screen it displays, tv name, hdmi port, resolution, normal, NO AUDIO, wifi connection and time.....

Closed captioning works....

Thanks

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I have a friend who's JVC stopped with sound too. It was tied to a roku problem and they went crazy on their pricing so it was quicker to replace the entire unit. Time to call tech support :(

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Talked to Vizios tech(s). The 1st one I could tell was reading a manual. He wanted me to hook up another device, blueray whatever.... I dont have a device to hook up. So, he was done until I did what he asked, could barely understand him.. We did go thru all the checks and resets.

2nd guy was much more knowledgeable. Even sent an update. No go.

Bottom line, we're getting a new tv since it's still under warranty. A present to ourselves last Christmas. Hope it's not a refurb... That worked out well. Glad I made that 2nd call....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What some fun? Watch an auction with the TV muted and closed captions on. Of keep the sound on so you can hear what CC mangles the auctioneer's spoken words to. :eek:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Update.
Turns out it was our cable tv supplier, it's just a small local provider. Vizio made an update that our provider can't support. So they did an update on their end and now it works fine. Also, have a spare 50", the delivery guy left it and had no pickup orders... Daughter is already asking about it.... lol

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So the days of rabbit ears on top of a 200 pound piece of furniture with an 8 inch picture are over? I better upgrade. :D

Don't give the old one away too soon in case the auditors catch up. Although I've had the same experience on some warranty replacements, they say just throw the old one away. Is that saying return shipping outweighs the manufacturing cost? :noidea:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Their cost is so cheap these days it doesn't pay to fix them.... Daughter even asked how much we wanted... It's less then a year old. I should mess with her and say we're giving it to someone around here. . Lol. I think I'll give it to her, but she needs to give someone her 42" , which we also gave her..