vista 268 Kohler 5e Generator

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Good Morning
Trying to figure out my generator and how it operates. When I try to start it both remotely and locally I just get a clicking noise.

Also in the cabin, I have both a switch to start the generator and another (white switch) to enable see image below.... not sure what the starting operation is.
Should the generator white switch not be on the ON position while I am using shore power?

Looking at the jumping of the solenoid to see if the starter is good... is this a good idea?

Thanks

Alonso

Attachments

• PXL_20230425_133544169.jpg
    PXL_20230425_133544169.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
The white double pole breaker controls only the electric distribution. I always left it off until the genny was started and running so as to minimize load until warmed up. If you’re using shore power the genny breaker should be off.
As far as the clicking sound, have you confirmed the battery is fully charged? If it’s wired in combination with the boat engine you might want to isolate the genny with a dedicated battery (that’s what I did).

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the reply and clarification regarding the double pole breaker. I was able to jump the starter and it turned over... This should tell me that the started is good but the selenoid is bad correct?

Thanks

Alonso

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Not necessarily. Look at the generators display screen and see if any codes are coming up. This model has a lot of sensors that could throw a fault.

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately, my generator does not have a screen... I took the selenoid out and bench tested and it never closes.... so it looks like is bad. Getting a new one in the next couple of days... will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Alonso

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
So the selenoid was bad however I do not get any fuel into the carb. I was able to spray starting fluid into carb the generator starts and dies. Can I check just the voltage to the fuel pump or do I need to check the control board?

Thanks

Alonso

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I’d check for voltage to the pump first.
If you want to see if the motor runs but have no voltage to the fuel pump, you could setup a temporary tank and gravity feed into the gas line- FOR TESTING ONLY. This can also confirm your generator is making power into the boat (the white breaker).

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you... at the risk of sounding dumb... this is basically putting a gas tank higher than the generator?

THanks

Alonso

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I can confirm no volts are going to the fuel pump. The fuel pump is new so probably an issue with one of the relays.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you... at the risk of sounding dumb... this is basically putting a gas tank higher than the generator?

THanks

Alonso
Yes.
As far as the electronics go, consider hiring an authorized Kohler service center to give a proper diagnosis. They will come directly to the boat.

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Actually electronics i can trouble shoot is just a pain cause there's very little space to work ;)

Alonso

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
O.k. a little progress...K4 led is not LIT and upon further investigation both positive and negative for the 12-volt power for the fuel pump is shorted to ground. The problem is there is no way I can get the wiring harness unless i take the generator off.

Thanks

Alonso

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Well still stuck and wanted to know if someone has some ideas. Per the picture below the CHTR (choke heater has 54 OHMS of when I connect both N (neutral) and 70 (this should be 12 Volts) I get 18 ohms also on the circuit board P1 red circle I get 18 Ohms. Should I see an open circuit between N and 70 Correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 171520.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 171520.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 0