Visiting Holland or UK

Alan Taylor

Cadet
Hiya all,<br />If any of you ever considers visiting Holland or the UK for a holiday and need local knowledge, just let me know and I will see if I can help smooth the way. If I was visiting the U.S.A or Canada I would post on this site asking for advice.<br /><br />Coming over on business the same offer stands.<br /><br />An example, when you arrive in Amsterdam you will be offered a taxi, only accept the offer if the car has BLUE plates! Any other vehicle and you will be well and truely ripped off :mad: <br /><br />a.taylor@zonnet.nl<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />Alan

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Visiting Holland or UK

No trips across the ocean for me. But if you come over here, only drink milk from cows in Wisconsin, as our cows are happier and thus give better tasting milk.

SoulWinner

Commander

Alan, sounds like you had an interesting experience with a taxi....do tell!

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where in the heck can you get a decent meal in London? I was there a few years back and they have the most bland food in the world, no matter where I went.<br /><br />UK, great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to eat there. ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Roscoe, I prefer the milk from the brown cows - I just love chocolate milk!

Alan Taylor

Cadet

Two women (one black other white) on a train both with nursing youngsters. The black lady ask "do you mind if I brest feed my baby?"<br />"No problem replies the white lady in fact mine is due for a feed as well"<br /><br />All is going well until the white kid starts screeming and kicking up.<br /><br />The black lady asks "whats wrong with the baby"<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br /><br />..<br />"He wants Chocolate milk".<br /><br />Sorry could'nt resist it.<br /><br />CoachHolloand, try McDonalds :D Seriously though it depends on what tickles your fancy, let me know. I know a solicitor and a Private investigator (amongst others) that live in London.<br />All my friends are anglers by the way.<br /><br />As for the taxi experience, I never have the problem. When I buy a train ticket to Amsterdam I ask for a train taxi ticket (about $4.50), the station is directly under the airport. When I get to my destination I share a taxi with several others and off we go, dropping off along the way.<br />Simple and safe, saves me about $15 for a normal cab if I can get one.<br />As I said before, local knowledge.<br /><br />Roscoe, does that mean they have higher milking stools to stand on in Wisconson :p <br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />Alan

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Alan,maybe you can tell us what a "rolmops" is???

Alan Taylor

Cadet

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> Alan,maybe you can tell us what a "rolmops" is???
Rollmop is a Herring fillet wraped around a pickle and onions, soused in white vinegar and herbs, all held together with a cocktail stick, not as nice as raw Herring with raw onions though.<br /><br />The first barrel of Herrings every year are auctioned off for charity, not sure what this years winning bid was but $15 to 20 thousand is normal.<br /><br />Alan

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Now I will have to change my name.

Alan Taylor

Cadet

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> Now I will have to change my name.
Soused and pickled are also UK slang terms for drunkenness.<br /><br />Alan