Virus activity!

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer
Anybody else getting virus filled e-mail from folks on this board? Now before anyone thinks I'm on a witch hunt or anything- I'm not. Fact is I'm a computer tech and spend hours every week undoing damage from viruses. I see that in nearly every case these days the e-mail in question is spoofing its address and is not from who it says it is from, so don't go off on your buddy or fellow I-boater because it SAYS it is from them. Probably isn't, OK?! But now I am seeing addresses which look like are from a few of my compatriots here on this board. Makes me think now is a good time to throw out a reminder to keep your antivirus protection up to date. Most AV software companies have been updating daily lately, which can be a chore if you have dial up service. It is worth it though. Make sure it is not only updated, but that the settings are correct (action in case of virus should be disinfect or delete, set to scan e-mail if that is an option, etc.). Finally, PLEASE make sure you do a manual scan at least every few weeks unless it is already scheduled to do a deep scan automatically. Just having the anti virus program does not mean it is doing much work. Seeing it in your task bar is not the same as opening it up and letting it run; kind of like using your favorite manufacturer's newest hottest outboard as a trolling motor until you do a deep scan once in the while. Usually some of both makes for the best fishing trip. <br /><br />One other hint: especially if you have a full time connection! (Cable, DSL) Turn your computer off when not using it! Makes a big difference in limiting this stuff. Might have been a couple years ago you could get away with thinking that "viruses won't hit me, let the other guy buy the anti virus program." Now it is about 100% certain that you're infected BAD if you don't have one, and depending on brand and settings at least 25-50% WITH an AV program probably has some sort of infection, from what I've seen. I suggest checking it out ASAP. At least you'll get a little peace of mind if everything is clean.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Virus activity!

Thanks for the reminder, BP. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea BP, I am on cable and all 3 of my machines stay on 24/7 but I have firewalls and good AV programs that deep scan ever day and checks all incoming and outgoing emails and checks all sites I visit for viruses also.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me add...<br /><br />Update you computer with windows update. This is very important with this latest sasser worm. The AV programs can't even begin to work against this worm until you have the update from microsoft. The update you need came out 2 weeks ago. I was completely up-to-date and the worm passed me right by... My dad's computer had up-to-date AV software but not windows update - we are now cleaning out the worm on his machine.<br /><br />Windows update is available at www.microsoft.com. Just follow the link on the left of the screen. I recommend getting every update they have, although this can take hours if you are on dial-up.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Just a side note. Set your machine up to get auto updates on everything.<br />It makes it a lot eaiser that way.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Good points, guys. The updates & firewall are mandatory in my book. Auto update is a Godsend. The other thing I insist upon is at least one spyware tool like Spybot Search & Destroy, or Ad Aware and Spyware Blaster together. A pop up tool like the free Google toolbar (I normally don't like extra toolbars- many ARE spyware) rounds it out if you insist on using MS Internet Explorer. My Mozilla and FireFox browsers have it built in and it works even better than Google's toolbar to stop pop-ups. That's the way I like to do it anyway.

Link

Rear Admiral

Good point SBN. I have mine set up to check every few minutes but have always done the manual update. Every two minutes on the virus updates. And windows informs me on all of those updates. I wont go auto with windows but since I always say yes on PC-Cillin I'm going to look for a auto in the settings.