Vinyl paint on Hard top. Hmm?

zetalampi999

Cadet
My Aristocraft hardtop came with a badly sun damaged and splotched with large red spots from a bad patch job or something. I am in the process of doing the boat in a bright yellow. Top, vinyl seats(not original) and air horns on bow all will be yellow. I couln't decide on a color and I left it up to my 3 year old Niece. I am using Duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye/spray. I cleaned it taped it and sprayed it. I think it still needs another coat and the cirle Aristocraft logos on the sides, but it is started. I am not sure how I like it so far so I'm looking for some comments Please. Be honest please.

Attachments

• small Photo_081809_002.JPG
    small Photo_081809_002.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • smallPhoto_081809_003.JPG
    smallPhoto_081809_003.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
  • small Photo_081809_004.JPG
    small Photo_081809_004.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 0

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Vinyl paint on Hard top. Hmm?

I remember seeing that boat at the Detroit Cobo Hall boat show when it ffirst came out and really liked the sliding top. That being said I would paint it the original color and I'm pretty sure that's not it.
The boat looks good the top is way to bright, sorry.

ziggy

Admiral

I would paint it the original color and I'm pretty sure that's not it
i don't know if that's the original color or not. but i am a fan of arsitocraft oem colors. whatever color they are. these are now near antique boats. the closer the are to original i'd think the better.
what i'd like to see is the original yellow that aristocraft used. maybe Scott has a pic of an original yellow boat. Scott? i understand that the yellow and the lime green i got were not popular colors and only had short production runs. 75 and 79 for the lime green, don't know about the yellow.
anyways. i like yer yellow. but think it might be a shade on the bright side. while i've never seen even one pic of yellow. i didn't picture that color yellow in my mind when i dream of what it might look like.
that is a good looking nineteen to be sure. like i said though, me personally, i'd stick with as close to a oem color as i could, for whatever color it gets painted.
my personal favorite is the blue. but i'm partial to blue. even wish mine was blue. since it's not. i will like my green. since you have a choice and your changing colors. i'd find out what the yellow was to start with and go from there.. since the yellow was not popular like my green. i think yellow is a good choice though. if she was all dressed up in yellow, i'd bet she would be lookin real sharp..

zetalampi999, ya got any close ups of the deed ya've done? i'd like to see it up close to see how it turned out. don't know about your top, but mine looks like a vinyl top on a car, has little lines in it. i have a hard time even cleaning down in them little recesses. i'd be interested in seeing how the new paint came out up close.. good luck with your decision...

zetalampi999

Cadet

top is way to bright

I agree lakegeorge. Not exactly what I had in mind. My neighbor said afterwards that he was hoping that was some kind of primer color. Maybe it will begin to tone down after some weathering.

maybe Scott has a pic of an original yellow boat. Scott?

I would like to see a yeller one if any around. I will get some better pictures close up this weekend probably.

Just a thought Ziggy, but it would be great to have a post in the Aristocraft section for people to post their pictures of their boats. I am becoming quite fond of the boats after having mine for just a few months. Can it be made sticky to stay at the top maybe? I don't know. I read that you like to see what Aristocrafts are for sale out there on the market. I found a great search tool that searches all Craigslist listings and ebay listings. I had them add an Aristocraft search option...works like a charm. Here is the link:

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpboat

Steve
Lake Lotawana, Missouri

ziggy

Admiral

it would be great to have a post in the Aristocraft section for people to post their pictures of their boats.
sounds like a great idea to me.... i've thought about it too, just have never done anything about it... no idea if the mods would make it a sticky. they might if we ask. never know till ya try. not a lot of post here though. every time someone would post up a new boat, it'd come back to the top.
I read that you like to see what Aristocrafts are for sale out there on the market. I found a great search tool that searches all Craigslist listings and ebay listings. I had them add an Aristocraft search option...works like a charm.
yeah it does work good. nice link. now i can see all the aristocrafts for sale... :)
I am becoming quite fond of the boats after having mine for just a few months.
i've had mine going on the third year i think. the longer i have it. the more fond of it i become... they're just darn dandy boats is all there is to it... i've put mine through some pretty serious test too. not nessecerily because i wanted to. it's just one (or more) of them things that happen.. ;)

zetalampi999

Cadet

not a lot of post here though. every time someone would post up a new boat, it'd come back to the top.
Oh every time a new post it pops to the top eh? well that would do. I love seeing the boats.

zetalampi999

Cadet

I finished painting the seats. They were not original so I didn't feel bad about painting them. Still need to replace carpet and redo the wood laminate on dash and sides. We went skiing with the boat only 30 minutes after painting on a hot day in August and none of the yellow rubbed off. I was amazed. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• smPhoto_092309_001.JPG
    smPhoto_092309_001.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 0
  • smPhoto_092309_002.JPG
    smPhoto_092309_002.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
  • smPhoto_092309_003.JPG
    smPhoto_092309_003.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • smPhoto_092309_006.JPG
    smPhoto_092309_006.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • smPhoto_092309_004.JPG
    smPhoto_092309_004.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

Let me know what you think
me personally, i'm liking your yellow nineteen better and better all the time. turning the seats and trim yellow was a real good step in the right direction. what'd ya paint them with? looks great man. she's a real head turner i'll bet... no pun intended... ;)

motherofdog

Cadet

I have to agree with Ziggy, with the yellow seats it's looking great. Do you think you can find matching carpet?

Lakegeorge, if your still in Georgia why don't you come up to the Lake Chatuge Antique and Classic boat Rendezvous June 12th weekend. Bill (from Aristocraft) says there will be at least 2 19's there.