Vinyl or Sunbrella

barrrj

Seaman
Vinyl Sunbrella which is for what

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this ins't the right forum, but I am wondering what the main difference is. It appears sunbrella is a fabric which to me would seem easier to sew to make cushions etc. Or is vinyl, anyone have a preference .

thanks
richie

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Vinyl or Sunbrella

Vinyl is hotter.....it does not breathe like Sunbrella fabric.
Vinyl will crack
Vinyl will tear
Vinyl will get eaten up with the sun rays.

Vinyl is cheaper
Vinyl is white or grey

Get Sunbrella if you can afford it.....it will last you
years and years.....and in darn near any color you want.
Including stripes!!!!!

barrrj

Seaman

lol sungreall fan i see. I think it would be easier to sew also.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Fabric is better in my opinion. Keep it treated though.
My 2 cents.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

17 year upholsterer and boat owner here. A little more info:

VINYL-
Slightly cheaper than Sunbrella. Available in more than white & gray. It is available in hundreds of colors and also in patterns. Checks, stripes, plaids, & prints are all common to vinyl products now. Better vinyls have the identical look and feel of leather without the price and care requirements. The old vinyls were prone to cracking and getting destroyed by UV rays, but not the newer stuff. Minor care is all that's required to maintain. The biggest issue with any material is to make sure that UV resistant thread is used when sewing the cushions. Vinyl tends to keep the majority of water outside the cushion.

SUNBRELLA-
This is a great fabric when creating t-tops, biminis, and covers. However, when used as a cushion/pad material, it usually takes a few months for it to soften up enough to be comfortable. Very sturdy, it too will hold up well as long as minor maintenance is used. Again, the UV resistant thread is the key. However, Sunbrella, Dickson (exact same as Sunbrella, but cheaper), or other canvas type material will let water into the foam and wood base where vinyl has a better (but not perfect) repellancy (if that's a word).

Both materials will last years and years if properly cared for or, conversely, will degrade quickly if ignored. I have replaced vinyl cushions that were in great shape after 20 years. The owners simply wanted an updated look. I have also replaced Sunbrella tops that were 2 years old. Both of these were obviously maintenance (or lack of) issues.

It all depends what you like and what you want. Shop around. Prices are close enough to make little difference.

Here's another option...do both. Vinyl seats in one color with Sunbrella inserts for the seats/backs in a coordinating color/pattern. This will really set your boat apart from the others with custom upholstery.

Good luck!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

For cushions:
Vinyl: Has stretch, wipes clean/semi-waterproof, can be cheaper
Sunbrella: Doesn't get hot, doesn't sunfade, many color/pattern options (as mentioned)

To me:
Use vinyl if your seat and cushion construction is stretch-and-staple, or if it's a fishing boat (to wipe off blood & guts), or if the budget is tight.

Use Sunbrella if it's more of a lounger/cruiser/yacht, all the cushions are to be made "fitted" (i.e., like "boxed" couch cushions), and you've got the $$$.

---------------------

You making the cushions yourself? One nice thing about DIY when sewing vinyl, you can glue all the seams together with HH-66 vinyl cement before you make your first stitch. ;)

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Vinyl is hotter.....it does not breathe like Sunbrella fabric.
Vinyl will crack
Vinyl will tear
Vinyl will get eaten up with the sun rays.

Vinyl is cheaper
Vinyl is white or grey

Get Sunbrella if you can afford it.....it will last you
years and years.....and in darn near any color you want.
Including stripes!!!!!

Get the Sunbrella!!!!!!!!!!!