vintage caloric gas oven

maxxpower

Seaman
I need some advice on getting an old Caloric <br /><br />wall mount gas oven up and running. The oven has <br /><br />not been used since I lived in the house which<br /><br />is 5 years. We put in an electric range when we <br /><br />moved in and I shut the gas off to the oven and <br /><br />left it sit. Now that Christmas is near it would <br /><br />be nice to have the extra baking capacity. I <br /><br />turned on the gas main and slowly turned the <br /><br />oven valve on, no gas! Played around with <br /><br />the valve for a while no luck. I am wondering <br /><br />what the procedure is for lighting an old oven.<br /><br />It is a 1950's-60's Caloric Ultramatic and it <br /><br />appears to have electric ignition. Thanks

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: vintage caloric gas oven

The gas utility company here will advise and come out and light pilot lights. You might try them for assistance.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi, given the age I doubt it has electronic ignition. If there is a cord and plug set attached to the oven unit it's likely for the oven light. Open the broiler door and swing it down, look at the back right side area near the top of the broiler unit, there will be a small diameter metal tube that attaches to a small metal bracket and ends at the pilot light, turn the house gas valve on and light the pilot with a match as you move the match around a bit until it hits the pilot, if the pilot lights up get your head out and turn the main oven control on, the oven burner should light up after a 30-60 second delay while the thermocouple heats up and turns the main oven gas valve on. If this fails turn the gas off at the house control valve and seek help, good luck.

maxxpower

Seaman

Good man SlowlySinking! You were right, no <br /><br />electric ignition. In order to light it I had <br /><br />to push in the temperature selector and hold it <br /><br />while I lit it. Never used a gas oven before, <br /><br />much less a 50 year old one. One more question,<br /><br />this oven does not vent outside, is there a <br /><br />carbon monoxide risk? Thanks alot!

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

maxxpower, I've never seen a gas oven with outside venting. I guess the volume of air in a house with doors opening and the normal air leakage prevents any significant build up. To belay your fears call your fire departments non-emergency number and ask them or maybe your gas supplier. I have a gas oven and even when using it for hours on end (Thanksgiving turkey) I never noticed any of the carbon monoxide symptoms. BTW, glad to help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You will be fine with that oven, unless you use it for days on end to heat your house. The exhaust is not a problem, unless you have a sealed up house, and reburn the exhaust, over and over, till it depletes the oxygen. This is why they warn you to not heat your house with the gas oven if your furnace should fail.