Vin number on a trailer

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
Me and my son bought a 1986 sea ray 270 Sundancer with dual Mercruiser 260's this weekend. The owners owned the boat for 27 years. They lost the paper work on the trailer. I have the signed title for the boat. The trailer has been painted. So I cant find the vin number on it. Is it stamped on the trailer or on a sticker. how would I get this registered in my name in MI.

Attachments

• vbn.jpg
    vbn.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
They never registered it. They never drove it down the road. The trailer was used to move the boat to the water then back to the storage building.

Haven't you answered your own question? "So I cant find the vin number on it."

Fortunately there is usually a procedure to register a trailer without a VIN as a "homemade" trailer. You just have to find out what that is in your state.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have two trailers registered as homemade.
It was no big deal at my rmv but they may very from state to state. They asked for materials recipes and I just said they were made from stuff laying around. At the end of the day all they really want is your money.

Mad Dog 2

Cadet
If you find your state unfriendly. Google trailer registration in Maine. There are companies that specialize in helping people register trailers in Maine.