Viking Outboard

macshot

Recruit
I have obtained a boat and motor from brother that he purchased at auction. It is a 60HP Viking. It has a blue bottom end and a white cowling. It bears Model # 60DE15V and Serial# G411258.
He tells me he tried the motor out. It had sat idle for some years. The motor started and ran fine but bogs down and stops as soon as it heats up. I have not heard it myself so that is all the info I have. Could you please advise if you have any idea what this motor is and if manuals and parts are available. Is this the type of motor that would be worth using or just a museum piece.

Many Thanks

Gerry

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Viking Outboard

It is a 1963. USA models were made by Gale Products Division of OMC, the company that made Johnson and Evinrude motors. The Viking was sold in Canada, I believe by Eatons (?). Except for the hood, nearly everything on it was also used on Johnsons and Evinrudes at some time or other.

If it is bogging down and quitting because it is overheating, consider it junk from over cooking. Otherwise it is a good motor worth fixing up.

macshot

Recruit

Thank you for that information. Would you happen to know the correct fuel mixture. Is it 35-1 or 50-1 for that old gal.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is 24:1. Mix it leaner at your own discretion and risk.