Viibration

Playboy

Cadet
Can I get rid of vibrations on my 2 stroke merc 3.3hp. Everything that is loose in the boat keeps a terrible noise.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If its a single cylinder engine, you have to expect some vibration. Tie down all the loose stuff. It shouldn't be loose anyway.

If its a 2 cyl motor, check to see that all plugs are firing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There was a rubber pad-type product that you would put over the transom, and then clamp the motor over it. It was supposed to reduce vibration. It was only for small HP OB's, like yours. Not sure of the name.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have what I believe is the same motor in the 2.2 hp version. At dead idle, that single cylinder can shake, but at slightly above idle, mine is surprisingly smooth. On my 12' jon boat it can be annoying, so everything is strapped in place, thanks to bungie cords. When I use it as a kicker on my 16' SC , It runs about 75% throttle and no vibration that is noticible. When was the last time yours had a tuneup or a carbon cleanout ??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A single cylinder engine shakes like a dog passing a peach pit

airshot

Rear Admiral
Can do for sure. But will rattle the teeth from a man, if you add in a some damage to the wee plastic props that engine comes with
Dont let it idle, fast idle and up, mine is reasonably smooth. Can take your hand off the tiller and it will stay straight. At dead slow idle there is to much time between strokes, bring upbthe speed and you will be good. If your motor is rough at fast idle, then it needs some work !