videos of outboards in full trim/wake/height out of water.

"B"

Seaman Apprentice
Are there any videos out there that show an outboard in (near) perfect trim? I've been on youtube but haven't found any that are not from some hydofoil producer. I would like to see one so I can get mine right.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: videos of outboards in full trim/wake/height out of water.

I doubt you will find one since EVERY boat is different. The trim is based on performance and loading so what may be perfect today with 4 people is wrong tomorrow with 3 people.

The only constant is being trimmed down all the way upon take of. Your point where the boat planes can change from loading and water conditions and one it is planed out the trim is adjusted ............. then the scientific method of seat of your pants takes over.

Most I/O will only trim so far and not permit over-trimming but most outboards will. Your ears, your tachometer and the seat of your pants are the methods.

Now for a sharp turn under power the motor trim is usually dropped and re-lifted after the turn.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My method which as Bob said depends on the boat. On my bass boats, I have adequate power to come out of the hole rapidly with little regard for trim. If you have a heavy transom boat, or are limited with your HP then tucked in to some degree (depending on things he mentioned) helps to get the bow down and get her on the water. On some boats, all the way in is best.

Once on the water the tach and speedometer tell you what you want to know. You can be at WOT with the trim in like you would have on some boats on hole shot (tucked in) and once up and doing all the boat will do, just trim out, the bow rises, the rpms and mph both increase, sometimes drastically and you can continue trimming out until one of two things happen: Either the boat starts porposing, or you trim your prop out of the water and the rpms go up and the mph go down. On both, just trim back down till the problem stops.

If you want to just cruise around at nominal speed, a tucked in trim is best as it helps to get the transom up, reduce the boat in the water (drag) and helps to get the stern up which saves on gas and reduces the wake that may be annoying to other boaters.

Mark

"B"

Seaman Apprentice

I was looking on y-tube and saw many different looks. One was nearly completely out of the water except the lower unit, and he was really moving. Others seem to be just lightly on the water maybe the last third of the boat and level.Some even seemed to be quite content with two/thirds of the hull touching. So like you say it all depends on the hull/power/load and water conditions. Lots of info for one to get into for a smooth ride..