Vibrations???

Lindeman23

Seaman
Ok to start of with I have a 97 Four Winns 205 Sundowner w/ the 5.7 FI VP DUO Prop. The boat have 610 hours on it. I bought it w/ 500 last year from a dealer in KY. I'm not sure as to what has/hasn't been done as far as maintance. Yesterday I went out on the river. When I started it on the trailer it start making a weird growl (boat in neutral). Didn't think to much of it so I back it off the trailer. It went into/out of gear perfectly. She gets up on plane no problem. Upon going threw a no wake zone I hear/feel the growl/vibrations again. It seems that the noise changes as I turn the wheel up/down trim. Its not a power steering pump noise as I know what that is its more like a low growl with vibrations following. I opened the engine cover and the motor still seems to be smooth as silk. To me it has to be something in the outdrive as I can feel the vibrations throught the whole boat/haul even in neutral. After I took the boat out of the water I looked at the props and spun them. Both spin easily and are in perfect condition. Anyone have any ideas?

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Vibrations???

first thing i would do is pull the outdrive and check u-joints, gimbal bearing, and engine alignment
any or all could be causing noise and vibration
also check shaft boot for tears or cracks and water intrusion
these things are part of yearly maint

Lindeman23

Seaman

first thing i would do is pull the outdrive and check u-joints, gimbal bearing, and engine alignment
any or all could be causing noise and vibration
also check shaft boot for tears or cracks and water intrusion
these things are part of yearly maint

I'm thinking its either the gimble/u-joints. I've checked the shaft boot and it seems to be in good condition. Any idea on cost?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the drive and look.. People can't give estimates if you don't know what needs fixed.

Lindeman23

Seaman

Pull the drive and look.. People can't give estimates if you don't know what needs fixed.

If it is a gimble bearing/u-joint an estimate on cost. I'm just trying to figure out if this is going to be possible this summer or its done till I can save some money over the winter.

Bondo

Staff member

If it is a gimble bearing/u-joint an estimate on cost. I'm just trying to figure out if this is going to be possible this summer or its done till I can save some money over the winter.

Ayuh,... Are ya just buyin' the Parts, or payin' for the completed Job,..??

What's the marina labor rate in yer area,..??

Lindeman23

Seaman

Ayuh,... Are ya just buyin' the Parts, or payin' for the completed Job,..??

What's the marina labor rate in yer area,..??

Well I'm taking it in to get an estimate and to make sure that is what is wrong with it. Then I'll decide what if I'm going to do it myself or pay them to. I'm just trying to get a estimate at how much it might cost me so I can try and prepare myself when I get the estimate.

Is this a huge/complex job?

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I'm taking it in to get an estimate and to make sure that is what is wrong with it. Then I'll decide what if I'm going to do it myself or pay them to. I'm just trying to get a estimate at how much it might cost me so I can try and prepare myself when I get the estimate.

Is this a huge/complex job?

I have a Volvo SX drive, but replacing the gimbal bearing and u-joints should be the same. U-joints are $10-$15 each (there are two), and the gimbal bearing runs about $50.

Whether the job is huge and/or complex depends on how handy you are. I replaced my u-joints and didn't think it was a big deal, but I've done u-joints on a truck before. I didn't replace the gimbal bearing, but it doesn't seem too hard. Both jobs require pulling the outdrive.

For a frame of reference, how hard would it be for you to pull the outdrive?

Lindeman23

Seaman

I have a Volvo SX drive, but replacing the gimbal bearing and u-joints should be the same. U-joints are $10-$15 each (there are two), and the gimbal bearing runs about $50.

Whether the job is huge and/or complex depends on how handy you are. I replaced my u-joints and didn't think it was a big deal, but I've done u-joints on a truck before. I didn't replace the gimbal bearing, but it doesn't seem too hard. Both jobs require pulling the outdrive.

For a frame of reference, how hard would it be for you to pull the outdrive?

Never pulled the outdrive before so all this would be new to me.

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you also have to realize special tools are involved
bearing puller, bearing and seal install tool, engine alignment tool, etc
you would have to rent or buy these.
but if you like tinkering and can follow a manual its doable

Marktwain68

Cadet

Pulling the drive is easy. I just did it for my first time. Order you parts on eBay much cheaper. And get a alignment bar off there. They are super cheap 20-30 bucks you will need this every year because you have to take your dive off every year to lube and check alignment. It's not hard to change either just read the manuals. Make sure you get a new set of gaskets also. Good luck. I'm a 28 year old female and I did mine myself. :)

Lindeman23

Seaman

Last week I took the boat to Lodders Marine in Fairfield. They looked into it more today and found it needed bellows, gimble bearing, and a U-joint. About 1k to fix FML.

On a better note I will be back on the water this weekend!!!!!!!!!!