VIBRATION/KNOCK

CARMINE326

Cadet
Well, i found out the source of the vibration and knock after eliminating the gimble and ujoints. It seems to be the rear main or a rod bearing going out. My question is how would i know if the main bearing had spun or if it is just bad with the engine in the boat? Would a compression test tell me anything is regards to the condition. The engine is a new marine rebuilt that i have only put 15 easy hours on. 1995 302 ford volvo penta 2 barrel. I notice that the oil pressure will drop close to nothing after the engine heats up and the knock and vibration are soon to follow. The engine does not burn any oil. Any advice would be welcomed!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: VIBRATION/KNOCK

Sorry to hear that......<br />There's Absoltuely Nothing to be Done,<br />Other than Pull the Motor.........<br />And, Making calls to the Rebuilder...... <br />Compression Test will do No Good........<br />Your Oil Pressure Gauge is Test Enough.......<br />
if the main bearing had spun or if it is just bad
Is There a Difference ????

CARMINE326

Cadet

I am worried that if the main had spun then the block is toast. If the gease had washed out of the bearing then a crank kit would be all that I need to fix the problem.(caps, crank bearings,rod bearings and caps). A leaking riser had caused water to get in the oil which in turn led to several oil changes. My engine builder said that the cause of the problem was the water washed out the bearings. If the bearing had spun then I am block shopping! He said to look to see if any tabs retainers had broke off the rod caps- if they did to replace those rods. Any advice that you may add would be helpful.

Bondo

Staff member

If the grease had washed out of the bearing then
There's No Grease Any Where Near an engine Bearing........<br />Technically, Your Engine Oil Pressure IS the engine Bearings.... <br />And we Know you Don't Have Any.......<br /><br />I really don't know a Polite way to say this....<br /><br />You're In Over Your Head......... :( <br /><br />Your engine Has to come out.....<br />It Has to go to a Machine Shop.....<br />Main Bearing Caps are Part of the Block... You Can't just go + Change one... It's a Machine Fit....<br />Same for the Rod Bearing Caps.. They are Part of the Rod... You Can't just Mix & Match them.....<br />New Bearings Must be Matched to the Crankshaft,+ Block Bearing Bore.....<br /><br />I Agree 100% with your engine Builder....<br />The Odds are, You'll be looking for a New Engine,+ Not Parts to Fix this one..........<br /><br />Sorry.....