Vibration and temp rising

CARMINE326

Cadet
just repowered a 1995 baha cruiser 260 targa w/302 ford and a volvo penta sx outdrive. My question is that if I trim the engine i can watch the temp rise if I dont trim the temp stays at 160. I get a vibration at all rpm and now realize that the gimble bearing has to be changed due to previous owner not lining up the bearing with the grease fitting (out of grease). Question is, could the hose that comes from the upper unit to the transom housing be getting crushed or collapsing at speed and trim?

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Vibration and temp rising

yes, or it could be sucking air through the fitting on the drive.

CARMINE326

Cadet

Took my drive off last night to change gimble bearing and the bearing looks and feels brand new (was changed last season). It is holding grease and has no rough spots when rotating. I thought that this was the problem because of the vibration but is not the case. Pulled the dipstick on drive and found oil the be milky. Could the introduction of water cause a vibration? Will have it resealed shortly. How far back is the gimble bearing supposed to sit in the housing? I can feel a 1/4 gap between the bearing and the seal behind it. Also u-joints have no play in them and also hold grease they were changed last season as well. Where can bad vibration be comming from?

Walt T

Lieutenant

Prop could be cause of vibration. Milky oil in and of itself wont cause a vibration.

CARMINE326

Cadet

I checked the prop shaft and prop both are in good shape. No play was noticed in the shaft. I sounds like the vibration or knock is comming from the transom plate/gimble area. Will check the alignment tonight. Anything else that i can check? I am running out of clues! Many thanks.