VHF RADIO

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
WHAT IS THE BEST AND MOST DEPENDABLE RADIO TO BUY FOR AROUND $200<br />WILL MOSTLY BE USED INLAND WATER

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: VHF RADIO

Having owned a marine electronics business and being a sales rep for a distributor, I can tell you that any QUALITY NAME brand vhf will serve you well. I will say this, Icom is the ONLY vhf that I have installed that put out the rated 25 watts without adjusting it (same antennas). Several cheapy brands would only do about 15 to 18. Most "Good" radios were in the 20 to 23 range.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Electronics.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Please remember that the radio is no better than its antenna, so don't skimp there. I didn't know you could get an ICOM 402 for that kind of money but it sure would be my first choice if that's what I had to spend. If that two hundred has to cover an antenna too then its a bit harder. If that were the case I'd pick up a Shakespeare 5225, which would cost around a hundred bucks, and then go looking for a used ICOM M-One hundred series (probably an M100 or M120) that I could get for not to much money. I wouldn't worry a bit about DSC myself.<br /><br />Thom

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto Thom on the DSC. Unless you're linked to a GPS, DSC is pretty much worthless to the average boater. Worse than useless, if you think kids with a thing for red buttons might be aboard. If it's on the unit you like, fine, but don't pay extra for it.

18rabbit

Captain

I’m thinking the other way on DSC. I would be inclined to pony up the few extra bucks and get it now with the intent of providing the needed GPS input. The USCG’s monitoring of the DSC distress signal is just around the corner. But they are not the only ones to monitor for that signal. Until the USCG is online, other boats with DSC will automatically receive the distress signal and display your lat/lon on their radio. They can relay to USCG on channel 16 if needed. I expect our VHF radio to see many years of use and I don’t see myself re-buying one when DSC becomes the norm. Right now the advantage is communication with other boats that have DSC VHF.<br /><br />On the other hand, because VHF’s are around for a while, all those boats with pre DSC can’t receive the distress signal. Only boats with new radios can. But DSC will eventually become the norm. As a rule of thumb, when purchasing technology, always buy the most current protocol.

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK.guys<br />I bough a Standard Horizon "INTREPID" (last year model) for $179 with a $40 rebate. On sale from West Marine. And a 8' Galaxy 5226-xt antenna for $89 What do you guys think of the radio ?? West Marine said that Icom And Standard radio were similar. So I choose the one with the bigest rebate :)

scott i

Cadet

I have used Standard Horizon products on my 24' Laguna and they have always performed. I just picked up a Spectum+ as west marine had it for an unbelieveable price and standard had a $40 rebate.<br /><br />great radio even has a 20w hailer. i mounted the radio in the cuddy cabin and installed a RAM mic on the dash. works great with the Shakespeare antenna.<br /><br />Also have a CP170C GPS works great with C-Map. However I should of bought it now instead of a year ago as Standard is also offering huge rebates on it.