VHF Radio advise

Paul Witt

Seaman
Any advise on VHF radios? Handheld or not? Whats the drawback of both. Does power output really matter, or is it more antenna quality. I have a good handheld now, but I'm thinking of installing a permanent mounted one on the boat. The cell phone just doesn't work well off the coast. Any advise would be helpful.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: VHF Radio advise

output power does affect performance, but most i've seen offer the same. vhf is line of sight, so a high db antenna mounted as high as possible offers you the best range. but don't expect anything great- even on my navy ship with an antenna height of around 100' above sea level, we rarely talked to ships more than 35 miles away. i've been told icom is one of the best choices, and i in turn bought one.

Fly Rod

Commander

Hello :) Radios are a must wether it be a hand held or a permanant one,you never know when an emergency will occur. If money was an issue I'd get a waterproof {not water resistant} permenant vhf they normally have a distance of 20 miles + or - Second I'd have a good back up portable {icom ic-m3a ] in case of boat power failure. Very few people have two. The Coast Guard does not except a cell phone as a safety or emergency tool. As you have exsperianced it is not reliable,to many dead spots. Also you can get yourself an 8' antenna for about $40-50 bucks.<br />When installing the antenna make sure that you get directions on how to do it. Alot of people don't know how, they think you just stick it in the hole and screw it tight.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Junkie<br />I think every boat in ocean should have a good VHF radio. The fixed mount with 25 watts should be your first radio. I like ICOM also and if buying new would get one with DSC. Fixed mount with a good antenna have much more range than a hand held. Boat to Boat fixed mount about 15 miles, hand helld about 5. Out here on the west coast Coast Guard antenna mounted high on a mountain, 2000 to 3000 feet, a good fixed mount can raise 80 miles away but will not work with a 5 watt hand held. Fixed mounts battery will last longer and be more relibable than a hand helds.<br /><br />Hand helds also have a advantage. If boat turns over with antenna and radio in water you can still use your hand held radio.<br /><br />Antenna more important than radio when it comes to range. If short on money put the money on the antenna not on the radio. Do not buy a $40 antenna. For sailboats use a 3DB masthead antenna. <br /><br />For trailer boats use a 6DB 8 foot antenna. I really like the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT. It will cost near $100 unless you find it on sell but worth every penny. For high traffic area with lots of intermod the shakespeare 5225-FLT may be worth the extra bucks. Would make a big difference in San Francisco bay on fleet day but most of the time not needed. Ocean area we fish and camp have had several people come to me and say what channels do you listen to because we here your radio and can not pick up the station. In every case it has turn out to be bad antenna, the little round type that flex a lot. Several have run into next year and they can't belive the difference a good antenna makes.<br /><br />Do not use 8 or 9 DB antennas on trailer boats unless very large and stable. They have very low radition angle and will cut out when boat rocks or goes over a swell.

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks for all the great information. I have a 19 foot center console Sea Pro. Not large enough to go very far from shore, but large enough to have some good communication on board. I have a good handheld, but really have not had good luck communicating with it. With all the good advise here, I think I'll look for an i-com with a good antenna. What's difficult about mounting the antenna? I work in the aircraft industry, and I'm familiar with making sure antenna's have a good ground, but is there something else I should be looking for here?

Fly Rod

Commander

Not everybody is mechanicly inclined. Mounting the antenna is easy to most people. Connecting the antenna wire to the vhf can be problimatic for some people. Such as the case when I purchased my used boat and the radio kept shortning out. It wasn't grounded out properly. The antenna wire has to be soldered.<br /><br />Any vhf water proof radio today is good such as Standard; Raymarine; Horizon; Which are in the $140.00- 160.00 range depending on where you buy it. I happen to have a icom-ic-m45. And a $40.00 antenna will work just fine :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hatteras<br />Actually almost all Marine VHF antenna are 1/2 wave and do not need to be grounded. The best antenna will have RG8X coax in stead of the cheap high loss RG58. Flyrod is right about the PL259 connector. They do not come attached as would have to make a very large hole to get from outside to inside. I like to use the gold plated ones. When solder try not to use too much heat as braid can melt coax dielectric and short to center conductor.<br /> <br />After I am done I always check with a VHF Standing Wave bridge to check the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) just to make sure have good solder job and not shorted.<br /><br />Use a good solid mount of your choice but make sure have a good backing plate as when hit waves and chop can have a lot of stress.<br /><br />My boat only 21 foot Aluminum runabout with a closed bow but weather permiting we go out 27 miles to Cordel Banks fishing area. Coast Guard San Francisco group antenna is on a 3000 foot mountain about 30 miles north of San Francisco. I live in Sacramento elevation 20 feet 85 miles away and we fish Salmon in the river with 50 foot high levees on each side but I can still contact the coast guard in San Francisco. Since the Automated SOS signal was put on some radio the Coast guard has had a big problem with people pushing the button and sending out a morse code SOS on Channel 16. Usually turn out to be kids or accidents. Coast guard will put out a request if anyone else herd to try and find out what area came from. I have many times called them to report hereing SOS. Since my range in river between levees boat to boat is no more than 15 miles it give them a good idea where it came from. New radios have a different system which will report which radio so Coast Guard stop these false reports.

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks for the good antenna info, Boatist. I grew up in L.A. Sure do miss traveling up the coast to San Fran. Beautiful area. I'll take your info to the store, and look for a good antenna. Thanks for the GPS antenna info you gave me to.