VHF Problem

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My VHF came up with a new problem yesterday. The only other problem I ever had was a blown fuse. The radio is a Huminbird that I've had for 10 years. The antenna is a relatively inexpensive - at the time - Shakespeare that was installed along with the radio. The radio will come on but only blinks 16 on the LED readout. It will not change channels nor will it switch to weather mode. None of the other buttons on the control panel will work. Time for a new set?

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: VHF Problem

could you please list the model so I can search for the user manual ?<br /><br />maybe the 16 blinking indicates that it is in a dual mode? (listening to your favorite channel AND the 16 channel)? My radio has that feature, and when it is in dual mode you can not transmit... only listen...<br /><br />Anyways, 10 yrs is a great service life, so replacing it for a brand new wont be a bad idea... there are many new features on new radios that make life easier (like dual, scanning, favorites list, preferred call channel, etc). I have all those features in a handheld humminbird that I use as emergency radio, and I love it.

It's a DC-25 and I have the book. I emailed Humminbird service and am waiting for a reply. Perhaps they can troubleshoot it for me.

Well, Hbird wanted $140 for servicing the unit plus I had to pay shipping both ways. I stopped at West Marine in Easton,MD on my way to the shore and picked up a new ICOM 402S for $170. Installation took about 10 minutes and the new set works great.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey I have an 11-year old Humminbird DC-25 VHF. Still going. But like everything else in hi-tech life, the first sign of old age it's in the trash. Sucks, doesn't it? I remember when I used to be able to fix electronic things....<br /><br />BTW, for a company whose name was made in fishfinders did you know that the radio in question was Powerboat Reports or Practical Sailor or whatever's highest ranked VHF way back then (a whole 13 years ago).

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had one of those radios back in the early 90's. Other than a display window about the size of a postage stamp I liked the radio real well and never had any problem with it. Somehow deep in the back of my mind, and like I said, its been over a decade since I owned one of them, but I think that blinking display may have been a warning signal for low voltage. If that's the case it could have been caused by a bit of corrosion somewhere in the power supply or even at the plug in the back of the radio.<br /><br />At any rate you sure didn't make a mistake buying that M402. By the way, and this depends on which version of the 402 you got, but some of them have DSC related NMEA output as well as input.<br /><br />All new radios are DSC capable of course but for the vast majority of them that simply means that the accept NMEA input from the GPS so that they can squawk your location in the event of an emergency, or be used for all-ships or ship-t0-ship calls. The thing is that ICOM's model 402 comes in two version, the early plain 402 and a later version, the 402A, which came out last winter. The 402A has NMEA output and that means that you can also connect it to the data input line on your GPS and gain an interesting feature. If you have it and you hear another DSC equiped radio broadcast what will happen is that its location will pop up on your GPS screen. You can see where the person you are talking to is located. Very few folks are aware of the differences between the two models, in fact half of the salesperson behind the counters don't even know there are two different versions of the radio. I just thought you'd like to know. If you already have the GPS it only takes a few minutes to hook them together and a couple of bucks worth of connectors (that you can get at Radio Shack). Oh, and you need to get an MMSI but that is free.<br /><br />Thom

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

G-Daddy.<br /><br />I just bought a 402S, antenna and flush mount kit from right here at iboats. Ordered late Monday night and was delivered Friday (7/30). Haven't been able to install the radio yet. (next few days I hope :rolleyes: )<br /><br />Anyway, I was just curious how you like your new ICOM 402S? Been looking thru the manual and seems like a great radio. :)

I think it's great. Sounds better than the hbird and a radio check got me 5 replies before I could put the mic down.