VHF-GPS connection

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an ICOM 402 VHF and a Garmin 478 GPS. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to connect the two to have the DSC Distress Call function available?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: VHF-GPS connection

Not always easy because each unit will have a different means to hook up. On the Icom, you probably have an RCA connector and on the GPS you may have just wires. You may have to wire up an RCA connector to the correct GPS wires and plug that into the RCA connector on the Icom.

Both manuals will show what wires are the RXD+(NMEA+) and RXD-(NMEA-). Often, the RXD-(NMEA-) is just ground.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK - I think I've got it so far. I understand the MMSI requirement and the manuals are quite explicit about the wires. I guess what I have to do is to get an RCA plug to interface to the jack on the radio and wire the GPS as shown on the diagram in the manual. I do have one more question, though. The radio manual says it "requires an NMEA0183 ver 2.0 for position or time indication". The GPS manual says it writes NMEA0183 ver 3.01 sentences. Will this be a problem?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have a Icom 504 which uses V3.01 so we can only assume that no mention is made of V3.01 becouse the Icom 402 was manufactured prior to it's release.

You should not have any problem getting the time and date off the Garmin. The date and time messages are still available in V3.01