Veterinary Technician

eeboater

Commander
Does anyone here have any experience - or know someone with experience as a veterinary technician? My wife is thinking about becoming one and I really want to encourage her to try. But, she has questions on what is involved with becoming one? She wants to be one of the people who assist the veterinarians in the labs.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Sean

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Veterinary Technician

Can't say much about it: never been one but they have my admiration and gratitude. People I can (and do) deal with but gimme a sick animal and I'm just all shook up. Guess it takes a special kind of person to be able to deal with the job. It must have some really high points too.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My sister is a vet tech. She loves it. She has no formal training as far as I know. Just on the job stuff. #1 most important thing is you have to love animals, and not just the cute cuddly ones, but the sick ones, the mean ones, the ugly ones, etc, etc. <br /><br />Good luck!

eeboater

Commander

Hey Stiff -- how did your sister go about getting the job? My wife has her degree - in English/Technical writing, so obviously it has no direct impact on acquiring a job like that. <br /><br />I looked into degree programs at local technical colleges and the only one in WI is one in Madison!! And thats about 200 miles away. Did she simply get a job at a vet clinic and work her way up the chain? I think she might have an "in" as her aunt works answers the phones and does the scheduling at a vet clinic. So, if that is the way your sister did it - I think she's in good shape.<br /><br />Sean

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have been through two vet techs. The first one went to school in Glenwood Springs, Colorado for it. The second one OTJ'd and took the test. I also have a female friend who OTJ'd and took the test and became a licensed tech. Just have her check out various clinics and see how they do things. For the most part, if a person OTJs, they start out as kennel help, then they are shown more and more until next thing you know, they are techs. It seems to be a very rewarding career, most who get into it stay in it. I have also known techs who went back to school and became full fledged vetrinarians.<br /><br />My female friend who is a tech is going down for the Humane Society to help with Katrina animal victims. She is being paid by the animal hospital she works at to do this, it is really cool. She will do it for 10 days.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My sister is a registered vet tech. Requirements vary by state. Wages are not all that great, even in high cost of living areas. She does it because she loves the beasts.<br /><br />She also is heading for Mississippi next week as a volunteer.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

My sister started out working at a vets as a helper and then went to a local community college was certified as a Registered Animal Technician. A RAT as they called themselves.<br />She decided to continue her education & went to vet school. She now lives & practices in the Florida Keys & spends a lot of her free time on her boat.<br />I know the pay isn't great, but if you love animals it can be rewarding. Being registered allows them to do more with the doctors.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I never really asked her, but next time I speak to her I will ask her about how to get started in it. I'll post back here as soon as I talk to her.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

2 friends started out to be vet techs. Here they just enroll in the college classes. The university of Nebraska at Curtis has a good program, Hays Kansas I think has a good program, Wyoming Tech also among many others. <br /><br />First friend quit school when she found out as part of the training they had to go to the animal shelter and give shots to put puppies down.<br /><br />Other friend went to school a while longer, then quit because it was interferring with fishing and drinking.<br /><br />Do a search in your area for education requirements, from there it gets easier.