Very little water out of pee hole

Drobles83

Cadet
My friend has a 1980 115hp Chrysler outboard, model #158HOD. He wasn't getting any water out of Pee hole, so he replaced the impeller. The old impeller looked ok. Now he gets a little water, but not a stream. Do ya think its plugged up, thermostat needing replacing or what. The housing where the impeller was in, looked a little pitted. He just bought this boat and is kind down about it not working, any help would be appreciated.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Very little water out of pee hole

Chryslers do not put much water out the telltale. When it is warmed up check to see if the water is warm or even tepid. If it is pretty warm I would not worry about it.

Drobles83

Cadet

eurolarva thanks for info. I will email this info to my buddy. If anybody else has any other pertinent info, please take the time to offer your input.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Texas you will sometimes have trouble with "dirt daubers" building nests in any type of hole they can find. That might be part of the problem and you can either try to clean them out or it will just get better with time. Eurolarva is right. The real test is if the water coming out is pretty warm, or is scalding hot? Pitting reduces the efficiency and, thererfore, the pressure of the water pump. If it is really bad, you might see if you can get a new housing for the waer pump. Check the thermostat for restriction too.

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The same thing happens to my 86 Force. If you really want to have a tell-tale, the top of the thermostat has a small 1/4" plug that you can remove and hook a small tube to. It is basically like a ice-maker tube and coupling. When the thermostat warms up, water will flow through the tube, essentially becoming a tell-tale.