very hot water from P stream

phototom1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Running the 1991 40 hp evinrude on the muffs water from the p stream was fine and strong, shortly the water was getting warmer and warmer then very hot so hot you could not keep your hand under it all the while a very good and hard stream from the p tube. I shut the motor off and removed the T-stat cover and the T-stat seems to be closed. My question would the stream from the p tube be that strong if the T-stat was closed. To further check things out I replaced the t-stat cover with out the T-stat the p stream was strong and cool.
Have I answered my own question as to the possibility that the thermostat needs to be replaced?? If the thermostat has failed and stuck closed why is there water coming thru the P hose?? I guess I am missing something is there water circulating regardless of the stats open or closed position is it when it is open there is additional water allowed thru??
I may be making this difficult if so sorry.

I have ordered a new stat kit just for safety's sake.
Tom H

AlTn

Commander
Re: very hot water from P stream

water from the pump comes to the indicator before it goes to the thermostat housing...that p stream only indicates that water is getting to the base of the powerhead, it doesn't indicate water circulation