very hot coil

metor99

Seaman
Is it normal for a coil to get very hot and crack just from leaving the key on for about 2 hours. Engine was not running.

metor99

Seaman
Re: very hot coil

I have gone over every wire on the motor and shift box/key switch all correct. The motor is a 1986 50 hp force with points amd condenser. The coil is still getting real hot (cracking coil) when the key is left on for a couple hours. Is it getting hot due to the points? I here old timer say dont leave the key on or it will kill your points( talking about cars ) but maybe it applys to boats too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Why would you leave the key on for hours if you are not driving the boat?

Cracked coil is a sure sign of trouble ahead, replace it, then turn the key off when not in use. Key left on didn't crack the coil.

metor99

Seaman

I was working on the motor, it died and i started working on something else not remembering that the key was on. when i relized it the coil was cracked all over. It only does it to the bottom coil.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

YES! If the engine has stopped with the points closed, then voltage at relatively high amperage will constantly be flowing through the primary side of the coil, generating heat and killing your battery.

Old style Chrysler Magna-Power ignitions will also drain the battery if the key is left on. Although no current flows through the coil, the internal electronice are still energised and eventually the battery will drain.

Newer style Force ignitions are self energising. Unless the flywheel is turning about 300 RPM, the ignition has no power and leaving the key on with the engine stopped will do nothing.

metor99

Seaman

Thank you so much. I get it now. I thought a wire was crossed somewhere.
I also recieved my new coil. Now maby i can go fishing and the motor will run on both cylinders.;)