venting portable gas tanks?

jonboat21

Cadet
Whats the deal with the vent on portable fuel tanks?

Do you leave it open, closed? all the time, only when running or storing??

Not sure...

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: venting portable gas tanks?

Whats the deal with the vent on portable fuel tanks?

Do you leave it open, closed? all the time, only when running or storing??

Not sure...

Open when running, closed when not running / storing...

If you do not open the vent, the engine will run until the fuel pump can no longer draw fuel from the tank caused by the vaccum lock when the vent is closed... This may take seconds or minutes depending on how much fuel is in the tank...

HTH

Billy

maxgm4

Recruit

I'm wondering about this too. When the gas tank is not in use and I close the vent, pressure builds in the tank and causes gas to leak out from where the fuel line fitting meets the red plastic of the gas tank. This connection is tight and it's a brand new tank.

This is obviously solved by leaving the vent open, but I assume that gas is evaporating. I've tried keeping it in the shade but pressure still builds. This has caused my boat to fill with gas and oil. Do i have to worry about too much gas evaporating over the course of 1 week to 1 month that my boat may not be in use?

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm wondering about this too. When the gas tank is not in use and I close the vent, pressure builds in the tank and causes gas to leak out from where the fuel line fitting meets the red plastic of the gas tank. This connection is tight and it's a brand new tank.

This is obviously solved by leaving the vent open, but I assume that gas is evaporating. I've tried keeping it in the shade but pressure still builds. This has caused my boat to fill with gas and oil. Do i have to worry about too much gas evaporating over the course of 1 week to 1 month that my boat may not be in use?

X2

I just bought a Tempo 3 gal tank and have the exact same issues. I had it sitting on my work bench in the garage with the vent closed. Every time I would go out there, it smelled like gas. I tried leaving the vent open overnight and in the morning the gas smell was gone. I didn't think the temperature in the garage would change that much (and it hasn't), but, it has made the gas vaporize or build pressure to leak out. What gives?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use all plastic tanks, but moeller no problems. i have a 27 gallon on the toon, that is self vented.