Venom 200 hole in block

honedout

Cadet
I have an interesting story about a Venom 200. I believe its a 98or99 model. I was looking at boats today and came across a 21 ft Nitro bass boat with a Venom 200. Both boat and motor very clean. I asked him to fire it up on the hose. He said its been running rough lately and probably needed tuning up. It indeed did run rough even being on the hose i could tell. A strange sound from under the cowling also. I pulled the cover and looked around and couldnt believe my eyes. A 2-3 inch hole in the front of the block with aluminum shavings all over the carbs. I was looking at the # 4 rod cap plain as day. still connected to the rod. The owner acted stunned. He was either a very good actor or was blind. He said he had run it this past weekend and it was running rough the whole time out. Needless to say i did not buy the boat. Has anyone ever seen this type of damage on an engine with fairly low hrs and so called well maintained. And still run.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Venom 200 hole in block

Yup. It happened to me back in about 1983 or so. 55 HP Johnson 3cyl tossed a piston skirt which made a flap on the side of the block. Other than unstable RPM at lower speeds this thing ran well and gave no indication it was coming apart. In fact I too had this boat advertised the next day but unlike your experience, I saw the problem next day and naturally had a bunch of calls. I gently coaxed the flap back into the proximity of the hole so it could be welded. New piston and rings and it was good to go.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It is sad to read the number of problems posted here that begin with the poster saying that the seller told him the "all it needs is a tune-up."

walleyehed

Admiral

You're right, SoLittle, and that's why I hate buying used without assuming the worst... It IS sad...

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i remember when i bought my first motor i got scre... big time.<br /><br />i didn't know much about outboards and i bought this motor from a dealership.<br /><br />the motor was always hard to start and i got towed in twice.<br />then i joined an outboard repair class at boces in riverhead Long island and things shourly came clear to me.<br />the v4 110 had a compresion reading around 85 all over. but this moter was still running 5400 rpm's with a prop that should have bin on a 40 horse.<br />thats how i got scre.....<br /><br />reeldutch

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was so proud when I bought my first boat. 14ft.john, still own it today. Just married saved up. New trailer. I bought a used 18hp. Rude from the same dealer. Every available cent we had for recreation went into this rig. First time out, the ole Rude started pounding. My heart sunk. Took it back. They said they would give me credit for new motor. Rod was busted. No money. Saved up for new motor. Starred at new boat and trailer for six months before we could buy new motor. This was the days before credit cards. I still use credit wisely.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems that every time I look at a boat that needs a tune up it has a burnt piston.

DCHOPPERZ1

Cadet

Yes very common. I have looked at numerous boats over the yrs with the owner quoting (needs tune up). And after i run a compression check i find out different. I think the worst one ever was a 2 yr old rig with a 150 mercury Black Max that was for sale very cheap. Checked compression and had 2 bad holes. No wonder why it was so cheap. I promplty said no thanks and walked off.