Venison recipes ?

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
Hi,<br /><br />I have two shoulders of Springbuck, a small antelope. I was hoping to slow cook them much as one would do a lamb shank.<br /><br />Any ideas for spices / recipes etc.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Venison recipes ?

Hey<br /><br />200 posts obviously means the next promotion :) . No longer 2nd class am I ;) .<br /><br />Kewl<br /><br />Andrew

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Toss them on a bar-b-q grill! Grill like a steak with salt pepper garlic...<br /><br />Simple is better in my book.<br /><br />Bob

phatmanmike

Captain

mail them to me here in the states and i will mail you back pics of me eating them!!!!<br /><br />i like the BBQ idea!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How old was the springbok?<br /><br />The BBQ idea would work for a youngun, but if it was a mature bull the slow cooker is the only way to make it edible.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hey<br /><br />BBQ could work, never thought of that.<br /><br />Myoutboards, you ain't getting your grubby mits on these babies :D <br /><br />JB, accurate as ever. Did not think the "bok" in Springbok would have been understood so I took the liberty of inserting the English translation as "bok" is a buck in the Afrikaans language. I have no idea how old the Springbok was as a friend of mine shot it on my behalf. However when dressing the carcass I was amazed at how easy (tender I think) the meat seemed to cut when cutting strips for jerky.<br /><br />The BBQ idea is getting more and more attractive.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Homerr

Commander

Merinade:<br />Soy sauce mixed in with an egg or two, a bit of fresh garlic and pepper.<br /><br /><br />After you dip the steaks in the marinade, Roll them in flour and brown each side in hot skillet.<br /><br /><br />MMmmmm !!!!<br /><br /><br />H.

KRS

Banned

no no no.<br /><br />Place them in a baking dish, cover with cream of mushroom soup, cook on 300 deg F for 5 hours. They will melt in your mouth.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Did them yesterday,<br /><br />wifey did not want them on the BBQ :( so this is what I did.<br /><br />Made some small slits in the roast and inserted slivers of garlic and rosemary. Placed the roast into a baking dish. In the bottom of the dish I poured in a cup of wine, a tin of mushroom soup, a small finely diced onion. I then seasoned with packet mushroom soup, salt and ground black pepper.<br /><br />I then placed some onion rings on top of the roast followed by a sprig of rosemary and covered the roast with fatty bacon. Finally I covered the entire lot with aluminium foil and into the oven at 350 deg for two hours. I then removed the foil so that the sauce would reduce and allowed it to cook for a further hour.<br /><br />The sauce reduced perfectly and needed no thickening, the meat was stunning. I served it with mashed potatoes and ratatouille<br /><br />I'm proud of myself ;) .<br /><br />What would I change next time? I would omit the sprig of rosemary and onion rings on top and I would cook it for longer.<br /><br />Thanks for the input.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Neumanns<br /><br />It is a vegetable dish consisting of tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, green bell peppers, onions garlic herbs and seasoning. All fried together. It is wonderful although more often than no I omit the eggplant as it is not a vegetable we often have in out home.<br /><br /> http://www.beyond.fr/food/ratatouille <br /><br />In the above recipe use the second method.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

LadyFish

Admiral

WOW Andrew, I'm really impressed with your knowledge of cooking.<br /><br />Your roast sounds awesome.
1.gif

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Iv'e never had it but it sure sounds delicious...And thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Now before ya go and get all big headed on my praise keep in mind I think you area SOB...Tempting me with the venisons of the world that cannot be so easily had in these parts<br /><br />Now run along and have a good day.....you selfish SOB :( :D (as neumanns removes a beef roast from the fridge for tonight's dinner)