Vengeance vs Turbo

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys just recently posted about a 16p vengeance I put on my 03 115 merc 4 stroke. Local prop shop had my name down because I told him I was looking for a vengeance. But he called to tell me he has a 13 1/4 x 16p Turbo prop. So now I am intrigued because I never tried a turbo prop before. So my question for you prop experts do you think I would see any gains at all? I know the turbo has more rake and cupping. My vengeance runs me at 6100 rpm 42.5, so little over max rpms but that was by myself, so with family I think rpms would drop a little. Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Vengeance vs Turbo

A 13.25" diameter Turbo in 16" pitch should be a 4 blade, is that what it is?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 3 blade Turbo and Stiletto props are odd number pitches. If it's a 13.25 x 16 then it's been altered from either a 15 or 17 pitch. There is a 13 1/8 x 16 3 blade Turbo but it's made for pontoon boats. That series is called a Quest.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will have to call him back to double check on the diameter but I thought he said 13.25. The prop is used, did turbo used to make a 13.25x16?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Not in a 3 blade. Let us know what he says the part number is on the prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Isn't it nice to have folks here that really know specific details of these somewhat mystical items.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I tried out the turbo prop. There was no prop number on it, on the hub is said M13.25x16 Turbo. The strange thing is that It ran higher rpms than my vengeance, I couldn't even go to wot because it was already over 6000rpms, if anything with the more rake I thought it would have cut my rpms slightly.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The other thing is after I put my vengeance back on I did notice cavitation around mid range throttle 3-5000 rpms. The rpms would go up a little and then the prop would seem to grip and they would drop back down. My black max and the turbo didn't do this is this something I should worry about with this prop. The leading edges have some small nicks but no big dings or anything major.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the Turbo has been reworked at some point.

walleyehed

Admiral

DH, any chance that could be one of the old T2's????? I don't have any info that goes back that far but was thinking I found a T2 in Texoma that was an even pitch 3-bld??? I could be thinking of something else....

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did ask the owner of the prop shop I got it from and he said it for sure is a 16p and it is older, he could be mistaken for sure, but he is a good guy. I really liked the way the turbo ran though seemed very smooth, but couldn't check top speed rpms got to high, but it didn't cavitate like the vengeance.