velvet drive trany issue

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just replaced the motor in my 1983 Carver mariner, it has twin 350's with Borg & warner Velvet drive tranys, to Walther V-Drives. After i installed the new motor and got it running i tested forward and reverse quickly with no issues, after re torque and some time i ran it again and then put it in forward for about 5 min, when i tried to take it out of forward it was still in gear at the neutral pos, and did not change until i hit the reverse pos where it stalled the motor, after checking fluid levels i tried it again a few times then it finally came back to neutral, however now i have no forward, reverse is fine, u can feel it start to go into forward, the RPM's change a bit then come right back up and does not go into gear, the fluid levels are fine and did not look milky. any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: velvet drive trany issue

I would double check the rotation of the new engine.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I have only heard of similar symptoms one time. The customer ordered a reverse turn engine because He needed a left hand engine.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I believe the Velvet Drive uses the same reversible hydraulic pump as Paragon (which is in my boat), and Lyle is correct. The transmission has to be set up for the rotation direction of the engine. If it's wrong the internal gear pump won't develop any pressure. It's a hydraulically-controlled transmission........it needs pressure from the pump all the time to work.

One way you could verify this is to attach a pressure gauge to one of the oil lines going to or from the tranny cooler. You should see anywhere from 50 to 140psi with the engine idling. If you don't see any pressure it's very likely the rotation direction is set up wrong. It can be reversed but the tranny has to be separated from the engine bellhousing to do it.

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well it is now working fine at idol if i hae the gear shifter in just the right spot but i raise the trottle it kiks outa gear but reerse works just fine sorry the kb on this laptop is AFU!