Van Helsing review

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
I don't go to many movies but when I spend the 25 bucks to go I want it to be good. Here is a review based on what I like to see in a movie. <br /><br />Van Helsing is an action adventure movie revolved around the classic charactors of Dracula, the werewolf, frankinstein, and Dr. Jeckyl. The combination of all these charactors has been tried before, but this movie does a remarkable job of utilizing all the charactors and integrating them into a storyline that flows very well. This is a very well written movie. The special effects are outstanding and and production value is great. There is a gothic feel to the sets and it reminded me of some of the finer schenes in The Two Towers. At times there seems to be some items that are not consistant with the time period, but it's a fantasy so its easy to overlook.<br /><br />The acting is where this movie lets you down. Hugh Jackman (Van Helsing) gives a believable performance and keeps this movie from falling on its face. He is a likable lead and Ann felt he was a "studmuffin" in a man's man kind of way. Anna (Kate Beckinsale) the last of a family sworn to kill dracula, is beautiful but is in no way up to the role. Her lines felt read and was completely predictable. She was suppose to be a warrior type charactor, but just didn't seem to pull it off. But far and away Dracula, was the worst of all. He wasn't scarry, intimidating, sinister or even dangerous. The guy who played him seemed like he was doing Shakespeare's King Lear. Overacting, poorly delivered lines, and in my opinion, a lowsy wardrobe had me wishing for a story change everytime he was on the screen. The rest of the minor charactors, and there were alot, were excellent with the exception of dracula's three wives. <br /><br />As you would expect in the genre of movie there was a ton of violence, but it was in a Indiana Jones/Ghostbusters kind of way. They of course went over the top with charactors surviving 50 story falls and somehow blessed with the ability to get thrown threw 17th century brick walls and get right up. And this whole flying Zambezi brother super powers thing is getting old. Most mortal men/women can't jump 30 feet straight up while, loading a gun and doing a backflip. But very entertaining. It's a shame cuz I thought this movie was well on its way to being something I would like to see as a series. The hat is very cool. It was just an actor or two away from being something special.<br /><br />I would give this 2.5 anchors out of 5. I walked away feeling that I got my moneys worth but it was no bargin. I would also caution parents with kids under twelve to perhaps make an alternative movie selection. Violence only, otherwise a very family friendly movie.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Van Helsing review

Looks like Kerry's botox injections are starting to wear off :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Ladyfish,<br /><br />Thats awesome. Put that poster in college campuses and what out. :D Tell you what, You start at SUNY, and I'll start at Stanford, My guess is we don't even get the stapler out. :p

crab bait

Captain

i saw it.. '94 gave an excellent review.. but it always gets me when people critize 'reality' an plausableness of different scenes.. <br /><br />HELLO,, it's a movie.. not a documentry..<br /><br />( i thought the movie was real until the 'girl' fell 50 stories an lived.. that just ruined the whole movie ) <br /><br />besides that for 4 bucs after work matinee it's all action an all entertainment.. even tho some scenes where too fake.. like when he rammed dracula thru the heart with a stake an drac didn't die..!! <br /><br />how unbelievable is that..!!..?? <br /><br />i almost got up an walked out..!!