Vacuum line

Ecsdjohn

Recruit
Hi everyone,
I am new to outboards. I traded a motorcycle for a fishing boat that has a Yamaha 15sg outboard 2 stroke. It ran well the first time out, but this time out it's hard starting. I could get it going but I'd get 30ft and it would shut off. I had the lid off checking the fuel filter and changing plugs, and noticed a vacuum line from the carb detached. Not sure where it goes to. I wrapped it with tape to cap it, and it stays running, but it is hard cold start. It will start with choke and die after 5 seconds. Only way to really fire it is wide open throttle no choke. When it runs it will run well on top end but idle is rough. Any ideas would be appreciated. Ordering a manual for it, just wanted to ask the pros.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard. we cant see what you are working on, so a good picture is worth a lot here

2-stroke motors do not have vacuum lines.

they do have fuel lines, enrichment lines and drain lines.

other than trading the motorcycle and eagerly dropping the motor into the water. Have you done any of the maintenance?

start with a compression reading
sort out the fuel system. you may need to rebuild the carb as well as replace the fuel lines
install a new impeller