Vaccines and Autism?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Saw an interesting story on the news last night. <br /><br />About 20 years ago the autism rate for children was 1/10,000. Today is was somewhere around 1/200. They claimed that there was evidence that a preservative used in vaccines called thimerisol (sp), which contains high amounts of Mercury, was the cause according to some studies.<br /><br />They also sited the fact that in the homeland security bill, the maker of this preservative tried to get an amendment in there to protect them from lawsuits based on this preservative, and the government found that there was a link between the preservative and autism and would not allow the amendment. <br /><br />They said that the vaccine regimen for a typical infant would expose them to enough Mercury, a neurotoxin, to poison a 250lb adult, let alone a 10-20 pound baby. <br /><br />They also had a group of parents with autistic children who all claimed that the onset of the autistic symptoms coincided exactly with their vaccinations. <br /><br />Anyone know more about this? :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Vaccines and Autism?

Check it out. Could well be an urban legend.<br /><br />My autistic grandson (age 16) is a savant as well. I doubt that so-called "brain damage" could produce savants.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

One in 200 babies in the USA are born with autism? Sounds kind of high to me.<br /><br />60 minutes did a long story on this a few years ago. I remember they had several patients & families & statistical evidence plus more than one doctor who went on record as supporting a link. Also some parents who sued school boards and ended up home schooling 'cause they didn't want to immunize their kids.<br /><br />If I recall correctly, the "powers that be" still believe that the benefit to society from the vaccines outweighed the risk to individuals.<br /><br />you said
<br />vaccine regimen for a typical infant would expose them to enough Mercury, a neurotoxin, to poison a 250lb adult, let alone a 10-20 pound baby.
In that case how does anyone survive?<br /><br />I have heard that a common household thermometer contains enough mercury to elevate the level of a 100,000 acre lake above federal guidelines. Not sure I believe that, though.<br /><br />Have a friend who's alergic to the preservatives in novacaine, but until she was 25 they thought it was the novacaine itself, so she experienced "full contact dentistry" throughout her childhood. Youch!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Not an urban legend but the tie between to two may not be what some believe. Search the web for "autism vaccine". Many hits, some reputable such as UPI.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I know, please, don't shoot the messenger. It was just a long segment on the late news last night and I was wondering what if anything you all knew about it. <br /><br />I saw the 1/200 stat (actually was 1/1XX but I don't remember exactly) and thought it was high too. But it probably does include all levels and types of autism, including those not easily identifiable by observing someone casually. I don't know.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I often wondered which was worse, the Novicane shot or the dental work. :eek: <br /><br />I had a bad gash that required more than a dozen stitches. It kept bleeding the Novicane out and they had to shoot me three times with it. The fourth time I just said "Keep stitching." :eek:

eeboater

Commander

JB: when you say Savant, what does that mean? I hear it all the time, but what are his symptoms?<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

When my kids were up for vaccines, I researched this and came to conclusion that it is a bunch of BS.<br /><br />Tell me , why would they suppress any link? What is the motive? As soon as a link was found, they would stop using it, and there would be no basis for a lawsuit, cause everything was thought to be safe until a link was found.<br /><br />The only time companies are at fault is if there was data to indicate their product was harmful, but did nothing. For example, Vioxx.<br /><br />Dont you think that some drug company would come up with a "high profit" alternative preservative if there was any truth to this.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, Chris' ability to perform differential calculus in his head and to remember incredible detail about things makes him a savant.<br /><br />My understanding is that savants exhibit greatly enhanced skills/talent in selected areas such as music, math, recall and others. Chris can scan the TV Guide on Monday and tell you what is on what channel at what time for the rest of the week.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a proven link between a weakended immune system and some forms of autism. As for the vaccine link, I believe it is more anecdotal than anything else because most kids receive vaccines and the symptoms of autism do not become apparent until well after the vaccine period.<br /><br />My son is a combination of Asparger's Syndrome, ADHD, and schizophrenia. He also fits in the weakened immune system category and will be undergoing treatment for this within the next year. So far, the treat ment is proving to be very effective in reversing these types of mental disorders.