V6 or V8 need some advice???

jokey1

Cadet
Hey guys I have a 1987 forester boat with a 4.3 Omc Cobra drive. To make long story short boat sank got it running (patched up like crazy)to discover that water slowly ends up being in the oil pan. <br /><br />I know i need a new motor every thing is cracked block, mainfiolds, oil cooler, power steering rack. (All filled in with JB weld to make run) <br /><br />Boat ran ok on the water nothing really fast.<br />Here are my questions do I repower with a v6 or a v8?<br />If I go with a v8 will the lower unit work or do I have to re do the gears?<br />If I go with the v8 should I give up with the OMC drive and go with a MERC set up?<br /><br />I dont want to buy a hole outdrive setup. I have a good 305 and it is expensive. Dont have much money. Also the boat value probley not worth much.<br /><br />I really dont like the v6 because the boat is too slow and the price for the exhaust mainfolds is crazy. But if I go that route I know in the end everything will work.<br /><br />If I go with a v8 I will have plenty of power but I need to modify the hull, cut the floor<br />and make a new engine cover.<br /><br />I wish I was rich then I would give up and buy a new boat.

tylerin

Commander
Re: V6 or V8 need some advice???

Jokey1, I have your whole setup (everything) sitting in my garage w/ 182 hrs on her. I bought it as a spare and sold the boat. e-mail me mguth29932@adelphia.net

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

You didn't mention the size of the boat. A newer 4.3l makes about 190 horsepower and moves my 18' boat at almost 50 mph and pulls me up on one ski easy. FYI I weigh over 200 pounds. My point is a good running 4.3l engine may be the ticket. Good Luck

jokey1

Cadet

I think the boat is 22 feet long and has a little cabin. It says the boat is a escape190?

tylerin

Commander

Should be a 19 footer plus or minus