V6 225 OMC Seadrive. Strange overheat alarm

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everyone. I've been reading all the previous posts re: water pumps, thermostats, etc.

Weird problem:

Very rarely at WOT with a heavy load; my OMC Seadrive 2.7L (225 HP Looper) would overheat. The alarm would scream. My reaction is to bring the engine to idle and disengage the lower unit. After 1-2 minutes, the alarm goes out. ..Push along afterwards without any further incident.

I discovered:

a. very dirty fuel filter (cleaned it)
b. an intermittent spark plug wire. (Replaced it.)
c. I also changed the alarm (flaking out.)
d. I pan-of-water tested the thermostat.

The pump was replaced in January, 2008.

Today, WOT for awhile--no problem to 5400 RPM. The boat ran nicely. I *hope* it's okay. We'll see.

THEN:

..Much later, I was slow-reversing -- about 3 -4 minutes of slow reverse. Pee was starting to get less and less. Finally, overheat alarm. Back into idle; and pee was normal again.

Questions:

1. Anyone ever hear of overheat in a slow reverse??? Could there be a cavitation at water intake?
2. If I have this overheat condition, is the idle and run the right thing to do? Am I killing the engine by letting the engine idle? (Seem like running water at idle is a good thing.)
3. Any other ideas???????

Thank you in advance!

kenrbnj

:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: V6 225 OMC Seadrive. Strange overheat alarm

sound like you have an impeller on it's last leg.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You really think so? I just installed a new impeller in January 2008.

This sounds like an impeller problem??

Have you heard of any mistakes on installation that would cause crib death on a V6 impeller??

Thank you!

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Uhhh. How do I know if I spun a prop? I admit: All the weirdness started since I installed a new propeller.

I never had the engine run to 5400RPM. 5050 was the maximum. If I push it, I can make the prop move to 5600.

..And the boat doesn't seem to push like it once did.

Hmm. IS this me being a kook? Or is this something relevant?