V6 2,7L Looper 1 good, 5 weak spark (-86/87)

D5GT

Cadet
Is there real problem?<br /><br />I'v got only one good spark<br /><br />"checked spark and it can't jump a 7/16 gap, only about 1/4, ,using champion QL77JC4"<br /><br />Engine runs but I think this isn't good...<br /><br />Also every wire "hits spark to nails" when i remove boot from sparkplug. When I do that I really can feel the strongest spark. That cylinders spark is also visible, others not. They can be heard.<br /><br />And one more, what about polarity? should I check that too, before I buy new wires etc. One with visible spark is good, can all others have that problem?

D5GT

Cadet
Re: V6 2,7L Looper 1 good, 5 weak spark (-86/87)

Battery fully charged, and new.<br /><br />Engine is loading 13-14volts... All connections checked once.

D5GT

Cadet
Re: V6 2,7L Looper 1 good, 5 weak spark (-86/87)

To check spark polarity:<br /><br />Hold the plug wire about 0.25 inch from the plug terminal and, with the engine running, insert an ordinary lead pencil in the gap formed. If the spark jumps around the pencil and feathers on the plug side, polarity is okay. If the spark appears to come from the plug, polarity is reversed, and the primary wires on the coil must be interchanged. Check the service manual for proper wire arrangement.