V4 90HP Johnny Leaking Oil - OK to Run?

kyudizky

Seaman
She's leaking oil where the bottom section of the block/powerhead cover connects to the mid section.

VRO is connected and working, doesn't seam to be leaking from it or the hoses to and from.

Other than leaking, it is running great, only smokes upon start up then quites, so i supposed it not running to rich of a oil mix.

Question- Is it OK to continue to run the motor until i can find the time to get the leak fixed. Right now, I am running the boat every weekend.

Any ideas as to where it might be leaking from?

Thanks for the help!

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: V4 90HP Johnny Leaking Oil - OK to Run?

how does the oil look?
is it been burned or is it fresh oil?
is it diluted with gasoline?

kyudizky

Seaman

Doesn't look, feel, or smell diluted with gas.
what would burnt oil look like?
now that i think about it, fresh oil kind of has a blue tint, the leaking oil doesn't, just black

reeldutch

Lieutenant

ok if its black its been used and probebly your power head adaptor gasket is leaking or your lower crank case seal is leaking.

to answer your question if you can run it, problem with a lower crank case seal is it might suck up water and ruin a piston.(washing oil away)

other scenario witch is i believe you have is a blown powerhead to adapter gasket.
some motors wil develop exhaust under the hood and choke out, so if you deside to run it i would very check the plugs every time you run the motor and look for water on the plugs if you see water or a super clean plug shut het down and fix it.

kyudizky

Seaman

reeldutch, thanks man-

How much used oil remains in the powerhead. I though most all was burnt during combustion on a 2-stroke. It will slow drip all week long. Is the VRO mixing in to much oil.

I'll check the plugs, it doesn't seem to be choking out, yet. If it is a powerhead to adapter gasket or the crank seal, whats a ballpark amount that it will cost to have either replaced.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

most of it will be burnt during combustion you are right, dont forget about the mixture in the crankcase it wil drip down. also the crossflows arent exactly efficient engines your exaust will also be rich with unburnt fuel. nature off the beast. leaky messy 2 stroke . its awsum.

actualy it doesnt have to be that expencive if you do the work yourself.
i would both replace the powerhead to adaptor gasket and the lower crankcase seal o rings and gasket.
part wise i would say 100 dollars.
time wise it will take you probbebly the whole day.