USS Oriskany

SoulWinner

Commander
Some of you may know about the Oriskany already, but for those who don't here is the story. The USS Oriskany is an 888' aircraft carrier. It was over in Lady Fish's neck of the woods while it was being cleaned and prepared for sinking. The Oriskany made it to Pensacola last week, and in a couple of months it will be towed 25 miles out of the Pensacola Pass and sunk in 250' of water. I was down at the port that other day and drove over to see the ship. She is HUGE!!!! Already the local dive shops are recieving calls from all around the world as this will be one of very few ships this size accessable to divers. The city of Pensacola is expecting a substantial economic impact from people coming from all over the world to fish and dive on the ship. <br /><br />I sure wish I could get aboard the ship! It is so huge I could spend days exploring. I am going to try to hitch a ride out to see it sunk and take pictures and video. I may have to pay for a ride out on a charter boat. We'll see how it goes. I will take some pics of the ship and post them here soon.<br /><br />Here are some links: MBT Divers Site <br /><br /> Oriskany Home Page

ob

Admiral
Re: USS Oriskany

The USS Oriskany was prepared for its final destination in Corpus Christi.I race slot cars with two of its ex-crewmen that were part of the journalistic team that contributed film footage for a discovery channel program that will be released following the Oriskany being placed in its final resting place.I remember being berthed across the pier from the Oriskany ,which dwarfed the ship I was on,in Subic Bay Philipines during a west pac cruise.May she rest in peace.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Since the price of steel has gone up so much, I'm surprised she's not being cut up for scrap.

Drowned Rat

Captain

SW. A video of that would be AWESOME! If you get one, I would be very interested in it. Speaking of taking tours of aircraft carriers, you can tour one that they have on display in Charleston, SC. No tour guides, you can go anywhere on the ship you want except the reactor room. It's like one gigantic maze and you're right, you could spend all day on it and not see every passageway and every little secret room. Very cool. Also on display are a submarine, a Coast Guard Cutter and a battleship I think. I can't remember exactly, once I got on the carrier, I didn't want to leave. You should check it out if you're ever up that way.

mattttt25

Commander

i spent 10 days underway on a carrier (bigger than the oriskany). during my time, i probably saw 1/100 of the ship. just think- 5000+ people live and work aboard them while deployed. amazing.

ob

Admiral

You got that right Matt.Until you have actually seen one of those super carriers up close and been aboard,you can't get the full impact of their enormity.Imagine being aboard for 2+ years and seeing new faces every day.The ship I served on had a crew of around 100.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just read an article on the Oriskany while back, and I think it is the carrier that Sen. John McCain took off on on his second tour, then got shot down in Vietnam and became a POW for 5 years. Of course my memory is starting to go at my age, but I hope I'm correct. <br /><br />Awesome piece of metal... I have toured several battleships, cruisers, and subs, but I have never been on a carrier.

SoulWinner

Commander

Drowned Rat,<br /><br />I would love to go see the ships up there. The part I would most like to see is the danged reactor room! <br /><br />Down here there is the USS Alabama battle ship, it's an Iowa class, on display in Mobile Alabama. I go there about once every two years. That ship is huge, and I spend hours on it each time I go. I have never been able to get into the engine room, but I try every time I'm on it. They also have a little WWII sub on display. I think it's the USS Drum. That thing is tiny, and they stuffed the crew in there like sardines.<br /><br />Anyhoo, if I can get a ride out to the sinking I will film it. If the water is very calm, I might consider taking my boat out there, but that is a long way out in big water for 17' skiff.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

The Yorktown wasn't a nuke.. no reactor room just a humongous engine room.

Drowned Rat

Captain

ae708. I'm sure you're right, but the ship did have radioactive stickers posted near doorways near the engineroom that were locked. I just assumed it was a nuke ship. Maybe they stored warheads or something in there. Thanks for the info.<br /><br />Posted by SoulWinner<br />
but that is a long way out in big water for 17' skiff.<br /><br />
You don't need a video of two boats sinking. :D

TilliamWe

Banned

ae708, I visited Charleston three years ago, and the one thing I did not do was visit the Yorktown, bummer.<br />But that was ok, the "Yorktown" that I want to see is on the floor of the Pacific Ocean, between Midway & Hawaii!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I thought the Yorktown at Patriots Point was the one they raised and brought back in. See how much I know?<br /><br />I do know that the USS Nimitz was the first carrier with reactors. 2 I am thinking. May be wrong again. :D

TilliamWe

Banned

SBN, if Patriots Point is in Charleston S.C., the "Yorktown" they have there is the WWII era replacement for the one that was sunk at the Battle Of Midway (also in WWII).

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea it's in Charleston. So it's a prop, the one they have there now? I didn't know that.

Twidget

Commander

The USS Alabama is a South Dakota class Battleship. That class is 'stubbier' than the Iowa class, the Iowa class has an elongated bow section. They are also quite a bit heavier than the South Dakotas and the earlier North Carolina class, not to mention faster. Just wanted to set the record straight. :)

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spent 4years 1964-68 on the Yorktown. Three of those years were in the South China sea. Pulled 189days straight out on station without seeing land.Pulled in to Sasibo Japan for three days, suppose to be there for a week but got kicked out by the mayor of the town for riots, and then back out for another 90days. The boat was not nuke powered. She is now a museum some where in the Carolina's. Some day I'll make down there to she her one more time before it's over. Spent many a great day on her flight deck launching and landing aircraft,also some pretty miserable ones.

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

History time gentlemen: The Yorktown in Carolina is the third to be named. The first was a sailing ship, the second was sunk at the battle of Midway, the third was originally the keal for the Bonne Hom Richard but was renamed Yorktown. Freaked the heck out of the Japs when she showed up for battle after they sunk the second. We would stop over the spot where the second went down for a memorial service.Her nick name is "The Fighting Lady" or as us that new her well "The Battling Bytch". Hope I'm not trolling

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

The Bonny **** was the CVA-31.. the Yorktown is the CV-5. The "Fighting Lady" definitely isn't a prop. She's a very real fighting ship. I was on the Ranger and the Saratoga and the USS Arlington, a communications ship which the USS Saipan CV-48 which was recommissioned and converted. All of them are HUGE. I got a view of just HOW big they are when I was under the Arlington (AGMR-2) when she was in drydock in Mobile..... scary to see all that mass above you.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

OH come on... if a guy is named Richard he can't go by his nickname here? Some of this **** stuff is so silly.

JB

The moniker, "Fighting Lady" originated with a USN documentary made in 1943-1945.<br /><br />It was filmed on several CVs, including the Ticonderoga, and paid homage to the whole Enterprise class of carriers.<br /><br />I treasure my copy of "The Fighting Lady" because my Uncle Tom appears in several shots taken on the "Ti".<br /><br />If you are interested, Barnes and Noble have it on DVD for a song. I think I paid under $10.