USS Nevada (BB36)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Seeing the posts on Pearl Harbour last week caused me to do some internet research, starting with a relative who survived that tragedy. He served on the battleship USS Nevada throughout WWII, starting before the Pearl Harbour tragedy and finishing in 1945 after the war had ended.<br /><br />I was amazed to find that the Nevada "was there" in the thick of so many of the famous historic milestones of WWII. A bit like "Forest Gump" in that respect (only).<br />
bb36_underway.JPG
<br /><br />The USS Nevada...<br /><br />Survived Pearl Harbour - although lost over 100 of her crew (regarded by historians as the ship that put up the noblest fight that day)<br /><br />Ran three North Atlantic Convoys, moving troops and supplies to Europe.<br /><br />Provided firepower at Utah, Normandy during the D-Day invasion.<br /><br />Involved in the action at Cherbourg, Toulon, Marseille, Algiers, and Corsica<br /><br />Later, back in the Pacific, was involved in Okinawa, Saipan, Guam, Leyte, and Attu. She took part in the invasion of Iwo Jima and saw the famous raising of the American flag on Mt. Suribachi.<br />
iwoflag2.jpg
<br /> <br />In Okinawa, she survived 19 days of continual constant air attack, including multiple direct hits by kamikaze planes - all the while giving fire support to the troops on shore.<br /> <br />
Jap-Flag.jpg
<br /><br />...and when the A-bombs were dropped on Japan, she was only hours out of the Philipines.<br /><br />Hundreds of her crewmen lost their lives during these battles.<br /><br />Her final mission, after the war, was that of a target for atomic bomb testing. The bomb didn't sink her, so she was sunk later for torpedo practice.<br /><br />I'm awe-struck by this ship's history. This has been very interesting research (which I haven't finished yet).<br /><br />I salute the memory of USS Nevada (BB36) and all who sailed on her.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: USS Nevada (BB36)

I would imagine she was one of the ships placed within the blast area when the Navy was studying the effect an A-bomb would have at sea.<br /><br />What a history Kiwi. That ship never died, it just went off to another life!