USS Kittyhawk

Kiwi Phil

Commander
This war wagon is tied up in Australia at the moment. It has been recieving a lot of good TV coverage.<br />I don't know just what the locals are doing for the crew, but whenever we see them on the TV they are all grins from ear to ear.<br />Good to see them here; good to see them happy and enjoying themselves.<br />This morning Channel 7 did their weather reports on the Deck, and interviewed a Lt re the catapult etc. The presenter back in the studio cut in saying she was recieving e-mails on how the senders could meet (I guess the Lt)crew.<br />That bought smiles to everybody on deck.<br />What a way to pull the sheilas eh ;) <br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Twidget

Commander
Re: USS Kittyhawk

Australia is the 'prize' on a West Pac. Friendly people and a great time. You have a wonderful country.

Link

Rear Admiral

Thats great to hear. One day Id like to visit your country. NZ is another.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I'm afraid that NZ is still off limits to US warships until such time as our useless lefty govt gets biffed out and we can get some sense back into the relationships with our Allies.<br />It seems to me that if US service people are happy to ride those ships then it should be good enough to have them in our ports without question. <br />Most of our country would welcome your boys (and girls) back here tomorrow.<br /><br />Peter

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I was around when that'episode' blew up - about 1984 wasn't it?<br />Pity the US Foreign Affairs didn't leave it to David Longey to sort out internally. Don't believe he wanted the outcome any more than the majority of Kiwis, and that was proved by the resounding electoral loss the conservatives suffered at the following elections using the issue of "overturning" the nuclear free stance. I am a conservative in every way, but I objected to some outside power meddling in our internal affairs when we could have solved the problem sensibly. <br />Have always felt sadend by the outcome. It was completely unnecessary.<br />Please, and I mean this with the greatest respect, I wonder if Americans are 2 totally different types of people. On one side is every American, who I have always found to be great people, and on the other side are their Leaders and entourage who seem to be just about from another planet. I don't mean this as a troll.<br />As a foot note - my very small unit was protected by a US Division. We were in contact with Americans every day. I can't find anything but good to say about them.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

rwise

Captain

Phil I thought I was the only one that felt that way, our government is out of touch with the people for sure!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In case anyone is wondering what we're talking about regarding American warships not visiting NZ - here is my brief version of events...<br /><br />About 20 years ago, the NZ Labour government of the day passed a law saying that NZ would be nuclear free (in PC jargon the word "nuclear" means pretty much the same as all things evil). <br /><br />In order to be "nuclear free" we of course had to then have an assurance from all warships visiting our ports that they were not carrying nuclear weapons and were not nuclear powered.<br /><br />US Navy policy is to neither confirm nor deny the existence of nuclear weapons on any particlar ship (quite understandable in my opinion) - and so therefore they are technically not granted permission to come to NZ. <br /><br />Sadly, we have not seen a US warship here in NZ for the last 20 years or so.<br /><br />My comment is that it's very easy for governments of tiny countries like NZ to do trendy PC things like anounce themselves nuclear free. The reality is that we all benefit from the security provided by the larger western countries such as the US (and Australia) and fortunately those countries are (have to be) more realistic on the subject of security.<br /><br />A very sad situation in my opinion.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You are right 62 Kiwi.<br />I am not all together sure we can blame the Labour Govt of David Longey.<br />If my memory serves me correctly (wow, hope it does), that particuar election was a 3 way contest: Labour vs National(Conservatives) then the Bob Jones Party (He was a charasmatic businesman dissatisfied with the Nationals and formed a party to block them.)<br />Bob Jones was sucessful. he split the Nationals vote and Labour won. <br />The issues the elections was fought on had nothing to do with going Nuclear Free, BUT.......in the Labour Manifesto was a clause that said if elected they would make NZ Nuclear Free. It was never debated before or during the election....it just appeared.Then all hell broke loose.<br />Looking back, I wonder if Longey wasn't our 1st Prime Minister who debated issues before forming policy as opposed to the old way of secretly forming policy then introducing it as Law with no consultation with the people.<br />Whatever view, it was a shambles, and there was no winner, but i personally feel Kiwis should have been left to sort the issue out for them selves and not having big brother threatening and bullying them.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto to that both of you (62 & Phil).<br />My Dad served in our Navy during WW2 but I was unable to enlist because of medical problems in my later teen years. I lost more than 12 months income over a 3 year period through hospitalisation and it sort of stuffed things up somewhat.<br />I also in that period missed the CMT ballot system as my birthdate wasn't called up.<br />I totally support the Armed Services however and would have enjoyed Naval Service I'm sure.<br />The thing that annoys me are the peacenics and our Govt is full of those pests that are intent on running down our armed forces and telling us all that it is unnecessary in todays world.<br /><br />My 2c worth.<br /><br />Peter