Using WD-40 as a starting fluid

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Someone told me that using WD-40 as a starting fluid isn't as damaging to the motor as ether. Does anyone know if this is true? Supposedly WD-40 doesn't dry out the lubrication in the cylinders nor does it doesn't combust as violently.

Does WD-40 present another set of probelms? Just curious.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Using WD-40 as a starting fluid

unless your compression is really low, you shouldn't need a starting fluid, and then I think gas is more flamable than wd-40 so it would be no help.

seems like its a band -aid for some other issue your having

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, ether based starting fluids are very dangerous for 2 strokes because of the lack of lubricant.

Years ago WD-40 was an excellent starter fluid for 2 strokes because the propellant was propane. Several years ago they changed the propellant to CO2.

Just a reminder: Propane is used as fuel for fire, CO2 is used to put fires out.

There still may be a few stocks of the old formula out there. The cans are labelled "EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE".

The new formula cans are simply labeled "flammable".

Premixed outboard fuel (50:1) is the best, safest stuff to use as a starter helper.

teslaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do u put the 50:1 in a squirt bottelt or something?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

teslaman said:
Do u put the 50:1 in a squirt bottelt or something?

Yes. You can buy new ones or steal your wife's windex bottle and put premix in that.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put the mix in a squirt, or squeeze bottle, works great if you are getting spark, and not flooding it.

Thats is a good Idea. I always used starting fluid, but now that I know better I will make the switch.

iwombat

Captain

It's also a really good tool to help troubleshoot any manifold leaks. Just spray around the intake manifold and if the motor perks up, you've got a leak.

iwombat

Captain

"It" meaning the spray bottle full of premix.