Using the free image hosting

sloopy

Commander
Ndemge is providing free imaging hosting. Unfortunately I do not know what FTP is or how to use it! Can some one please explain it to me?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Using the free image hosting

Hello Sloopy. I used it recently, but I feel a little bit like the blind pig finding an acorn every once in a while.<br /><br />I wish I could help, but for the life of me I can't explain how I got that picture there!<br /><br />God, I feel like a dinosaur sometimes.<br /><br />Jinx

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's easy! Just find an image you want to display out on the web somewhere. I used google images to find my little light house image below. Go to the source of the image (by clicking it). Then, just right click on the image and select properties. This will give you the path to that image; copy that path. Then click the image button (last option on right column)here when making a post and paste the path into the text box. Thats it! :p Here I'll put in a picture of a mercury logo:<br /><br />
mercruiser.gif

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey SLOOPY, here is a free picture posting site.<br />Very easy, basic, heck, I figured it out. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Its run by SONY, so it should be around darn near forever. You just open an account, uncheck the email notices so you don't get spammed, upload your pictures, and link to them.<br /><br /> http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/?is_owner=1 <br /><br />They have lots of neet photography info and services available.<br /><br />Hi, I am Roscoe, a rosebrested cockatoo. <br />
f9fc035f.jpg
<br /><br />And I am Guy, a citron cockatoo.<br />
f9fc35d0.jpg
<br /><br />Sorry Noel, but I can't even get to your server, my puter can't connect for some reason.

ndemge

Commander

to answer the question at hand...<br /><br />FTP.. "File Transfer Protocal" <br /><br />To send files to an ftp server, you must establish a connection, it's not like just going to a webpage.<br /><br />you can use internet explorer, or a program just for FTP.<br /><br />if using ftp explorer, you would put in an address , so to my server,...<br /><br /> ftp://noel.primary.net <br /><br />it will ask you for a username and password, "iboats" is both.<br /><br />now .... it's just like using windows explorer. <br />Right click, New folder... make a folder with your name, then you are ready to upload pics.<br /> Make sure your window is not maximized, and move it to one side of you screen. If you have a picture to upload, you Drag and Drop it to the ftp window.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,<br />Let's See.......<br />I've got a 5.0 pixel camera.....<br />I've managed to load the pics into my 'puter.....<br />I've installed AceFTP....<br />I've Even gone to noel.primary.net(using I.E.),+ Created a folder with my name on it........<br /><br />Now, when I Try to type in the address,<br /> ftp://noel.primary.net <br />I can only get to the second /,+ the address bar in the FTP goes Blank......<br />With only 1 /, it doesn't connect to the server......... :mad: <br /><br />Any Ideas,....... Anybody..???????

ndemge

Commander

to connect to move files you use FTP.. to VIEW files on the web, and for linking for OTHERS to view them... you use HTTP

wraenking

Petty Officer 3rd Class

go into settings somewhere and look for an option to either use or not use passive mode. try unchecking it or checking it, it should work from there.<br /><br />roscoe, nice birds, here are mine<br /><br />
BIRDS.gif

18rabbit

Captain

Wraenking - I can barely see the birds. Any chance you can post a larger picture? :)

Bondo

Staff member

ndemge,<br />I understand the difference....<br />I just can't get the aceFTP program to connect to your server,<br />Because when I type in the ftp address, the address Disappears in the path/address window/bar, within the ftp program.....<br />
Wraenking - I can barely see the birds. Any chance you can post a larger picture?
Ya, Do ya Think..?????<br />In my 21" monitor they Look like Condors..... :D

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

this is a test<br /><br /><br />
f841b0d2.jpg.

ndemge

Commander

If anyone has noticed, the server has been down for a few months. it was making the network very unhappy.<br /><br />I still have all the images saved if anyone only had one copy of their pictures...<br /><br />hope to have the server up again one day with an easy to use interface instead of ftp

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a Test.<br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Hot DAMN, it worked!!!!!!<br /><br />Craig

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

ndemge,<br /><br />Sorry to be a pest but is there a way to get the pic's in my folder sent to me. Any suggestions on where to open a new link?<br /><br />Thanks, Doug

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pointer94:<br /><br />Why would you want them sent to you? If you lost them on your hard drive, just right click and save them from their web site.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Craig